The 2015 SEA Change expedition to combat ocean plastic
Adobe updates the Creative Cloud
Adobe has just released a major update to the Creative Cloud. Creative Cloud 2015 includes significant new features in Lightroom CC and Photoshop CC. The previously trailed Dehaze slider has been added to Lightroom along with localized white and black slider adjustments, while Photoshop gets performance improvements to healing brush and patch tools as well as to Content Aware Move and Extend functions.
California Academy of Sciences discover 100 new species in Philippines
Some 90 scientists and their assistants from the California Academy of Sciences just returned from an expedition to the Philippines where they collected animals for exhibits and discovered potentially 100 new species. The seven-week expedition was to the Verde Island Passage that lies between the islands of Luzon and Mindoro in the Philippines.
Wild Oceans: Sogod Bay in 4K
Earth Touch’s Wild Oceans episode comes from Sogod Bay in the Philippines and has been uploaded to YouTube in 4K resolution. It features lionfish, nudibranchs, anemone shrimps anemonefish and a mystery fish! Earth Touch are asking that if anyone can identify it, to add a comment below the video on YouTube.
Image: Mako Shark by Amanda Cotton
Image: Great White Shark by Andy Thirlwell.
Results: Durban Undersea Club Shootout
The Durban Undersea Club hosted its annual Still and Video Shootout this year, with the shooting period being between 1 December 2014 through to 3 May 2015. Geographically, the images had to be taken between Mozambique and the Cape. Geo Cloete took first place in the stills contest. Hearty congratulations to all the winers, and it is great to see so many of Wetpixel’s South African contingent to be amongst the placings!
Paper tracks tiger shark migration patterns
The journal Scientific Reports has published a paper that documents tiger shark’s (Galeocerdo cuvier) movements over na extended period. Individual animals were shown to make annual, repeated journeys of over 7,500 km in the northwest Atlantic, from Caribbean coral reefs to “high latitude ocean areas” as far north as Connecticut.
- GoPro competitor from Chinese company Xiaomi (via )
- Algae helps coral survive in the hottest reefs on the planet (via )
- California beach turns white from unusual hail (via )
- Twenty20 is the world’s largest crowdsourced stock photo… (via )
- A tour of the Atlantis underwater suite Dubai (via )
- New archaeological discovery off Britain to change history (via )
- Sea levels rose 4 inches along the northeast in 2 years (via )
- Olympus releases firmware v3.0 for OM-D E-M1 (via )
- Graveyard of giant lemurs discovered in Madagascar (via )
- Video: Octopus captures a crab, out of the water (via )