Scientists discover how sea sapphires make themselves invisible
Sea sapphires could just be the coolest copepods you’ve ever seen (not seen) in the ocean. These creatures flash brilliant colors and then quickly move to what appears to be an invisible state. Scientists have been working to solve the trick for years.
Image: Barrel sponge with hunting fish by James Emery
Review: Fantasea FRX100 IV by Becky Kagan Schott
Video: Dive into an ocean photographer’s world by Thomas P. Peschak
Video:One Big Breath
A short film entitled One Big Breath documents former champion Philip Beauchamp’s approach and experiences of free diving and a project that uses free divers to tag sharks. Filmed using a Sony FS700 in a Amphibico Genesis housing and a Panasonic GH4 in an Aquatica AGH4 housing with underwater sequences filmed in Greece and Guadeloupe, Mexico
Tony Wu describes swimming with and photographing Orcas in Norway
Underwater photographer Tony Wu recently traveled to Norway to spend time in the water photographing killer whales. Here he discusses his experiences with the whales and his chosen life path. The video was shot by Norway’s Dagens Naeringsliv TV.
Ikelite announces housing for Sony Alpha a7 cameras
Ikelite has released their housing for the Sony Alpha a7, a7R, a7S mirrorless digital cameras. The housing uses the new characteristic Ikelite white and clear polycarbonate and acrylic materials and provides camera specific TTL encoding for automatic exposure. MSRP is $1500 US.
Gates announces housing for Canon C300 Mark II
Gates Underwater Products has announced their housing for the Canon EOS C300 Mark II camera. It is lightweight and compact and offers support for both EF and PL mount Canon lenses. The housing utilizes Gates’s Port system and is supplied with a housing for the Transvideo StarliteHD OLED field monitor.
- More people die from selfies than shark attacks (via )
- Waterproof PowerGrip H20 for GoPros (via )
- Canon updates 1D C firmware to version 1.4 (via )
- Panasonic releases paid-for firmware update version 2.4 for GH4 (via )
- Canon updates 1D X firmware to 2.0.8 (via )
- Nikon updates D7100 C firmware to version 1.03 (via )
- 3 Instagram photographers receive $10K grants from Getty Images (via )
- Marine mammals gain protections from Navy sonar testing in… (via )
- Near miss between breaching humpback and kayak in Monterey (via )
- Canon updates 7D Mark II firmware to version 1.0.5 (via )