Review: Nikon FX wide-angle lenses
Wetpixel Editor Adam Hanlon presents a review of most of the available rectilinear wide-angle lens choices for Nikon full-frame camera. The aim is to evaluate individual lens’s performance underwater, but also for this to be a reference for those seeking information about lens choices. As other test lenses come available, the tests will be added to, so please keep checking back for updates
Camera housing for shooting 360 degrees underwater
A new underwater housing gives underwater photographers the ability to shoot 360 degree video underwater by housing six GoPro cameras at once. The 360Abyss can shoot video up to 7.5K resolution and is rated to a maximum depth of 1,000 meters. The housing MSRP is $5,395 (not including the six GoPro cameras).
Video: One Shot
Report: The Photography Show
The 2015 Photography Show, held at The National Exhibition Center, Birmingham, UK is in its second year. It is the only national consumer photography event in the UK and this year featured quite a few new products so Wetpixel went along to take a look.
UK to designate largest marine reserve in the world
On Wednesday March 18, the UK government unveiled plans to designate the area around Pitcairn Island a marine reserve. When established, this will be the largest marine reserve in the entire world, encompassing 322,000 square miles.
The Hydrous: Producing 3D Models Underwater
Yasmeen Smalley presents an introduction to the uses and techniques of 3D photogrammetry as a scientific tool for measuring coral reefs and assessing environmental impacts on them. An non-profit organization, the Hydrous has used the technique to map coral reefs in Hawaii, the Solomon Islands, the Maldives, Guam and Palau.
Video: Diving Manta Alley by Earth Touch
Earth Touch has posted a video from Indonesia’s Manta Alley on its Wild Oceans Channel. Wetpixel Moderator Mike Veitch filmed the mantas feeding in the plankton rich water and also spotted a banded sea krait (Laticauda colubrina) and a curious black tip reef shark (Carcharhinus melanopterus).
Stop press: Housing compatibility update
Wetpixel has spent the day at The Photography Show at the NEC, Birmingham, UK. There will be full report to follow, but during the show, we were able to do some testing in terms of housing compatibility with the new models from Nikon and Canon.
- The Olympus E-M5 II will use same sensor as predecessor (via )
- Freediver catches 70 pound lobster, names him Albert Girther,… (via )
- Documentary follows the film restoration of JAWS (via )
- High ISO Comparison: Nikon D750 Vs. D810 Vs. 7D Mark II Vs. 5D… (via )
- A day in the life of underwater photographers Tina Terras and… (via )
- Steve-O cited for Sea World sign prank (via )
- Apple updates Final Cut Pro X to 10.1.4 (via )
- Issue 17 of Anima Mundi magazine is now available for download (via )
- Adobe releases Lightroom 5.7 and Camera RAW 8.7 (via )
- Apple updates Camera RAW compatibility to 6.1 (via )