Over the past few days, there are reports surfacing that Austrian housing manufacturer Subal is experiencing some form of financial difficulty. UPDATE: Subal owner Harald Karl has responded. He has asserted that the company is restructuring and that no customers will be affected. Subal will open a new store in Vienna in March.
Issue 100 of UwP Magazine is available
The bumper issue 100 of Underwater Photography magazine (UwP) is now available to download. First published in 2001 by Peter Rowlands, the ezine continues as the single most read underwater imaging publication. Hearty congratulations to Peter and UwP on turning 100! UwP Magazine is available as a free download in pdf format.
Happy New Year 2018
As 2017 rolls over to 2018 across the globe, Wetpixel would like to wish our amazing talented community of image makers a very happy (Gregorian) New Year. We fervently hope that 2018 is a very productive year with safe, enjoyable time underwater and plentiful subjects that lend themselves to stunning, creative imagery!
Final Call: Underwater Photographer of the Year
The 2018 Underwater Photographer of the Year (UPY) contest is making its final call for entries. For images, it offers 8 international categories, along with 3 for images taken in UK waters. There is also a category for books. The deadline for entries is midnight GMT on 2 January 2018.
Don Silcock: The Manta Rays of Milne Bay
Don Silcock continues his illustrated guide to diving and photographing the underwater sites of Milne Bay, Papua New Guinea. This article discusses the amazing manta ray cleaning stations of Gonu Bara Bara Island, which offer exceptional encounters with reef mantas (Mobula alfredi) and features his stunning images.
National Geographic Best Animal Photos of 2017
National Geographic has released their list of 39 Best Animal Photos of 2017 from published stories of the past year. The list includes several stunning underwater images from National Geographic underwater photographers Brian Skerry, David Doubilet, Jennifer Hayes, Laurent Ballesta, and Thomas Peschak, in locations such as Baja, Mexico and Tubbataha.
Paper investigates hammerhead shark mating
Inon ships UCL-90 Close Up lens
Inon has announced the UCL-90 close up lenses. Available in M67 and LD bayonet versions, the lens offers +11 magnification with a minimum working distance of 69mm (2.7in.) with an 100mm SLR lens. Optically, it has HR glass in 3 elements in 2 groups with achromatic internal lenses and an anti reflective coating.
- Firmware version 2.50 is available for Sony A7R Mark III (via )
- Canon EOS C300 Mark II firmware updated to version 22.214.171.124.00 (via )
- Canon releases firmware version 126.96.36.199.00 for EOS C300 (Dual… (via )
- Canon updates EOS C100 (Dual Pixel upgraded) to version… (via )
- Panasonic updates G80/G81/G85 firmware to version 1.3 (via )
- Panasonic updates GH5 firmware to version 2.2 (via )
- Adobe updates Lightroom Classic CC to version 7.1 (via )
- The best Christmas trees are underwater (via )
- GoPro lost in Flamborough floats 350 miles and still works (via )
- New Englanders may soon see more Great White sharks (via )