Announcing the World Shootout 2015
The World Shootout 2015 has announced that it will be accepting entries from 1 January 2015. The contest will accept underwater images taken anywhere in the world between 1 January and 1 November 2015 and offers over $70,000 worth of prizes. The winners will be announced at the BOOT Show, Dusseldorf in January 2016.
Image captures thresher shark birth
RIP Valerie de la Valdene
Underwater filmmaker Valerie de la Valdene died as a result of a gunshot in the three-story home she rented in Puerto Ayora on the Galapagos Islands on 5 July 2014. Valerie shot 70 segments for the television show The Aquanauts in the 90s and was the focus of “Primal Scream” on Discovery Channel, which was heavily promoted to tie in with the film, “Open Water”. Our thoughts go out to her family and friends.
Inon announces 5 degree LED flashlight
Inon has just announced the release of the LF-800 N, a super narrow beamed LED flashlight (5 degrees). The flashlight runs on 3 AA batteries and has a maximum output of 800 lumens.
Optical corrector port tests posted in forum
Season’s greeting from Wetpixel
Wetpixel wishes each and every one of you a festive holiday season, and a very happy 2015. We hope that you get all the underwater imaging products that you want as gifts, and that your dives in 2015 will be safe, feature amazing creatures and offer amazing photographic opportunities. Thank you to all of you for your amazing support and interest in Wetpixel in 2014!
Ikelite announces 67mm lens holder
Ikelite has announced their new 67mm lens holder. This can be attached to their Ball Arm Extension Mark II and provides a convenient place to “park” 67mm threaded wet lenses when they are not in use. They can be attached singly or “back to back” so that two lenses can be attached simultaneously.
RIP PJ Dunick
It is with great regret and sadness that we have to write that PJ Dunick, crew member on the Bahamas liveaboard Dolphin Dream, was killed in a free diving accident last Monday. Wetpixel sends our thoughts and prayers to his family, friend and loved ones. A gofundme page has been set up to assist PJ’s family with the funeral and repatriation costs.
- Two hurt in giant lizard attack (via BBC)
- New and Rare Creatures Discovered off NZ (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Nikon D600 and Nauticam NA-D600 Review (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Sony Updates Firmware for NEX Series (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Nauticam Announces Housing for Sony NEX 6 (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Indonesia: WWF's Lida Pet-Soede on Overfishing (via DivePhotoGuide)
- RIP Point-and-Shoots? (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Top 10 DPG Features from 2012 (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Sentencing of shark catcher welcomed (via African Diver)
- British Wildlife Photography Awards Now Open (via DivePhotoGuide)