Scientists collect three miniature giant squid
Scientists have captured and collected not one, but three juvenile giant squid in the first confirmed collection of its kind. All three specimens were collected off the south-west coast of Japan by fishermen. Each squid was less than one pound and between five and thirteen inches in length. One of the three specimens was collected alive and two were collected together.
Gates posts renderings of Starlight 5 monitor housing
Gates Underwater Products has posted renderings of their new housing for the Transvideo Starlite HDexternal monitor on their Facebook page. The monitor is billed as the “smallest, most capable and feature-rich underwater monitor ever deployed” and is powered by power from the camera. The housing gives access to the monitor’s “hot corner” controls and is fitted with a shade extension and a swivel mount that allows it to be positioned in any direction.
Good news for marine conservation
Hurricane Patricia to hit Mexico
Hurricane Patricia is about to make landfall on the Mexican Pacific coast. The storm has strengthened and the BBC is reporting that it is now the “strongest storm to hit the Americas”. For all those that are in the path of the storm, we hope that you and your loved ones are in a place of safety. Our thoughts and prayers go out to you.
Call for entries: World Shootout 2015
The World Shootout is calling for entries. The contest is actually three competitions rolled into one: The real-time shootout accepts any image that has been shot underwater between 1 January and 1 November 2015. The Global Championship is a national team event based around the same concept, and the Video Clips of the World category accepts any video clip, shot underwater at any time and in any place in the world.
New World Publications releases second edition of Reef Fish ID-Tropical Pacific
New World Publications has announced the release of the second edition of their seminal “Reef Fish Identification Tropical Pacific” guide. Co-authored by Gerald Allen, Roger Steene, Paul Humann and Ned DeLoach, it features 2,000 species with over 2,500 photographs, an increase of 200 more species over the first edition. Designed to be user friendly, it utilizes color-coded identification groups and both common and scientific names.
Recea ships HERO4 Session housing
Recsea has released a housing for the GoPro HERO4 Session POV camera. Featuring a maximum depth of 300m (984 feet), the housing offers full camera function control and is machined from aluminum. Recsea can also supply color-correcting filters for the housing.
Video: Behind the scenes with Zena Holloway
- The Nikon Coolpix A: Why it is way more important than you think (via )
- Issue 26 of African Diver magazine is now available to download (via African Diver)
- A great photographic account of the operations at NASA’s neutral… (via )
- Canon has developed a high-sensitivity low noise full-frame CMOS… (via )
- Think Tank releases new battery and Compact Flash card pouches. (via )
- Issue 53 of X-Ray Mag is available to download (via )
- Ocean Film Festival begins 03-07-2013 in San Francisco (via )
- The March issue of DIVE magazine is now available online (via )
- Underwater Photographry magazine issue 71 is available to… (via )
- Hope still for a pro Nikon DX body: “The D7100 is not… (via )