Two marine sanctuaries more than doubled in size
Two marine sanctuaries off the coast of northern California, The Gulf of the Farallones and Cordell Bank, will more than double in size after the Obama administration approved their expansion on March 12th.
First images of new volcanic island formed off Tonga
In December of 2014 the Hunga Tonga volcano erupted off the coast of Tonga. It formed a new island approximately one mile long and twenty-eight miles northwest of Tonga’s capital. This past week some adventurous locals visited the new island and captured some images, against the warnings of experts.
Raja site invites photo submissions
Registration open for SNUPS 2015
Video: Tofua’a: Seeing Eye to Eye with Tonga’s Humpback Whales.
New paper shows whale ears “float” in their heads
In a new paper published March 11, scientists illustrate how marine mammals adapted their hearing to the underwater environment by evolving their inner and middle ears. These parts of their ears actually “float” inside of their heads, separate from their skulls that vibrate from underwater sound waves. This allows the marine mammals to hear more clearly and isolate the direction sound is coming from.
Introducing USB Type C
Apple has announced that their new Macbook computers will be equipped with USB-C connections, ahead of what is expected to be universal adoption by the computer industry. Photo District News reports that the idea behind the new connection is that it will ultimately replace the current myriad of options into a single design.
Coral, Fire and Ice in Calgary
- Urban light speeds sexual maturity (via BBC)
- Sea slug ‘disposable penis’ astounds (via BBC)
- VIDEO: Sea turtle gets artificial flippers (via BBC)
- Turtles Choose the Perfect Moment to Lay Eggs (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Can the Global Ocean Commission Help? (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Brian May unveils woodland vision (via BBC)
- Chasing Fairy Basslets (via DivePhotoGuide)
- EU budget raises wildlife concerns (via BBC)
- Purple sandpipers are ‘in decline’ (via BBC)
- Scuba diver dies off Durban (via African Diver)