Turquoise Bay announces film festival
Turquoise bay, Roatan is to host an underwater film festival from 9 to 16 April 2016. The event will feature seminars, an on-site contest and a gala evening. It will be hosted by cinematographer Jonathan Bird and during the week, participants will have the opportunity to dive, shoot and compete in video contests. The Best in Show film will receive the Stan Waterman Legacy award.
Book Review: Nudibranch and Sea Slug Identification - Indo-Pacific
Wetpixel reviews NewWorld Publication’s definitive new opisthobranch ID book: Nudibranch and Sea Slug Identification - Indo-Pacific by Terrence Gosliner, Ángel Valdés and David Behrens. The book offers images and description of 1,953 differs species, providing an amazing amount of information on the identity and habits of one of the macro photographer’s favorite subjects.
Sony reveals the RX1R II
Sony has announced the RX1R II full frame compact compact camera. It utilizes a back-illuminated 42.4 MP sensor with a variable optical low pass filter. Native ISO range is 100 to 25600 and output is via 14 bit RAW images. AF is using the company’s Fast Hybrid technology, incorporating both phase and contrast detection while the lens is a fixed 35mm Zeiss Sonnar f2.
Results of WPOTY 2015 announced
The results of the 2015 Wildlife Photographer of the Year (WPOTY) contest were unveiled during a ceremony at London’s Natural History Museum last night. In the Under Water category Michael Aw achieved first place with is image of a Bryde’s whale feeding on sardines during the sardine run.
Borneo from Below: Coral in crisis
Video: Earth Touch mating seahorses
Apple adds 4K support to iMovie
Canon announces two PowerShot compact cameras
Canon has announced the G5 X and G9 X compact cameras. Both feature a 1” 20.2 megapixel sensor giving a native ISO range of 125 to 12,800 and can record 1080p video at 24p, 30p and 60p. The G5 X has a 24-100mm (equivalent) zoom lens, while the G9 X has a 28-84mm. Controls on the G5 X include front and rear control dials and a lens mounted control ring, while the G9 X has touch screen control with a lens control dial only.
- Chimps ‘solve puzzles for fun’ (via BBC)
- Rescued seal pups returned to wild (via BBC)
- Background information on the “Save Vetch’s”… (via African Diver)
- Behind the Shot: Jawin’ Jawfish (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Flexible, Transparent Sensors Coming to Photography (via DivePhotoGuide)
- May the Force Be with You- Shark Defends Itself With Lightsaber… (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Seine netter feud: I won’t go (via African Diver)
- Ikelite Announces New Lithium Ion Batteries and Charger (via DivePhotoGuide)
- U’Water Photography news - DUC Shootout 2013 (via African Diver)
- ‘Vampires’ attack penguin chicks (via BBC)