Tiny Oregon fish is first to be removed from endangered species list
The Oregon Chub is officially the first fish to be removed from the list of endangered species because it is no longer in danger of becoming extinct. The tiny fish, found in the Willamette Valley, required help when the small ponds it lives in all but disappeared over the past 150 years.
Sony shows new FE lens prototypes
DPReview has posted images of several prototype lenses on the Sony stand at the CP+ show. The new E mount lenses are designed for full-frame Sony mirrorless cameras and include the FE 90mm f/2.8 Macro G OSS and a 28mm F2 primes, the latter with 16mm fisheye and 21mm wide-angle adaptors. (Images by DPReview).
Results of UPY 2015 announced
The Underwater Photographer of the Year 2015 results were announced during a ceremony at the London Dive Show last weekend. The overall winner was Nuno Sá, with his macro portrait of a seahorse entitled “50 Tons of Me”, a reminder about the commercial harvesting of seahorses. Hearty congratulations to all the winners and especially to the many members of the Wetpixel community in the rankings.
Video: Steve Perry on lens diffraction
Serif launches Affinity Photo
Serif has launched a beta version of Affinity Photo, which the company claims, is a pro competitor for Photoshop. It features an up-to-date code architecture, powerful selection tools, a depth of field tool and infilling (similar to Content Aware Fill). The beta is only for Mac and is available as a free download. Upon its release, Affinity Photo will cost $50 to purchase, which includes two years of free updates/upgrades.
Daily updates from Three Sisters Spring available on Facebook
The influx of large numbers of manatees into the the Three Sister Springs area of Crystal River has lead to it being closed to visitors several times over the past few weeks. In order to try and disseminate information about its closure, the US Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS) will be posting daily updates on its Crystal River National Wildlife Refuge Facebook page.
New study shows why oyster recovery in Chesapeake Bay is struggling
Video: Cristian Dimitrius on the wildlife filmmaking industry
- Video: Photographing Antarctic’s Leopard Seal (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Mobile Photography Awards Feature Stunning Pics (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Canon Announces Firmware Update for EOS 1D-C (via DivePhotoGuide)
- DPG Announces December Monthly Contest Winners (via DivePhotoGuide)
- In Photos: The Hammerhead (via DivePhotoGuide)
- First Signs of Life Discovered in Antarctica’s Lake Whillans (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Shark Man serious after crash (via African Diver)
- How do you give a polar bear a ‘medical’? (via BBC)
- Great White Shark Finned in Mozambique (via African Diver)
- In Pictures: Tracking hammerheads (via BBC)