Ask the Pros: Housing Maintenance
Call for registration: BIUPC 2015
The British & Irish Underwater Photography Championship is calling for entrants for the 2015 contest. It requires all contestants to submit images taken on 5 September anywhere within UK and Irish waters. Registration can be completed online, with a deadline for doing so of 28 August.
Nauticam announces EOS 5D housing
Nauticam has announced their new housing for the Canon EOS 5DS and 5DS R cameras. The new housing features a redesigned control layout with angled buttons and the video/still selector moved onto the top. A new multi controller now provides access to the camera’s joystick control. Internally, it has a front vacuum reset button and a redesigned cam lever on the camera saddle. The NA-5DSR housing is compatible with EOS 5DIII, 5DS and 5DS R cameras. The company also states that their previous NA-5DIII housing will also accommodate all three.
Call for entries: Ocean Art 2015
The 2015 Ocean Art Contest is calling for entries. It features 15 categories including has 15 categories, including a Novice DSLR category, 3 compact camera categories and 3 mirrorless camera categories, More specifically, it has Supermacro, Cold/Temperate Water and Nudibranchs and a Pool/Conceptual category. The deadline for entries is 24 November.
Recsea ships housing for Sony RX100 IV
Recsea is shipping their housing for the Sony RX100 IV. CNC machined in a plastic polymer, it features a 67mm threaded fixed port with access to the front control dial. It is dual O ring sealed and is rated to 60m (197ft)
Borneo from below: Nudibranchs
Earth Touch: Close encounter with feeding whale sharks
The latest Earth Touch video features “Close Encounter With Feeding Whale Sharks”. The focus of the episode are the whale sharks of Cenderawasih Bay, Indonesia where divers are almost always guaranteed to see whale sharks. They are present year round and congregate beneath the platforms of local fishermen.
Nautilus Live revisits whale fall years later
Robert Ballard and the Nautilus Live expedition is over half way through their six-month 2015 season and recently they revisited the Rosebud whale fall from 2011. The finback whale carcass was originally deposited on the ocean floor off San Diego after being struck by a ship and killed. The opportunity to study a whale carcass at depth was, and still is, rare and exciting.
- Video: Massive Dolphin Pod off California (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Wetpixel Launches Redesign and New Features (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Dead whale washed up on shoreline (via BBC)
- Marine Bacteria to Help Sinusitis Sufferers (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Photos of an Underwater Nuclear Explosion (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Killer plants glow blue to lure prey (via BBC)
- Interview: Photographing Newsweek’s First Animated Cover (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Ikelite Announces Nikon D5200 Housing (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Whales benefit from action on noise (via BBC)
- Anti-Anxiety Drugs Change Fish Behavior (via DivePhotoGuide)