Canon announces the EOS M3
Canon USA has announced the EOS M3 mirrorless camera. Designed for “enthusiast photographers”; it features a 24.2 megapixel APS-C sized sensor with an ISO range of 100 to 12,800 and the DIGIC 6 Image Processor. It has a 49 point hybrid AF system and front an drear control dials. The company also announced 11-22mm f4-5.6 zoom and and a 22mm f2 compact prime lens among others.
Video: Borneo from Below on Mantis Shrimp
Earth Touch: Bait Balls
New nudibranch identification book announced
New World Publications has announced the pre-release of their improved and updated book entitled Nudibranch and Sea Slug Identification - Indo Pacific. Containing over 2,248 images, the book describes 1,953 species, including many undescribed ones.
Olympus announces the OM-D E-M10 Mark II
Olympus has announced their new OM-D E-M10 Mark II mirrorless micro 4/3s camera. It features 5 axis optical stabilization and a new electronic shutter as well as an additional and redesigned control dial. The EVF has been updated and the company claims that AF accuracy has been improved.
NOAA investigates unusual number of whale deaths in Alaska
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) has declared the deaths of 30 large whales in the Gulf of Alaska this summer an unusual mortality event. The unusual mortality event declaration allows NOAA to conduct a thorough investigation into the cause of death for all the whales.
Join Wetpixel in California’s Channel Islands
Join Wetpixel to dive and photograph the Southern Channel Islands, California. Trip leader Jason Bradley is organizing a workshop trip to San Clemente and the oil rigs from 14 to 17 November. Embarkation onto the liveaboard Conception will take place at Santa Barbara on the evening of 13 November. The workshop will focus on Fine Art printing, as well as diving and photographing the creatures and scenery of the Channel Islands.
Bluewater Photo announces the SoCal Shootout
Bluewater Photo has announced that the SoCal Shootout will be held from 18 to 20 September. It will include several new categories and will accept entries taken anywhere in the Pacific south of Pt. Conception to north of the Mexican border.
- Killer plants glow blue to lure prey (via BBC)
- Interview: Photographing Newsweek’s First Animated Cover (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Ikelite Announces Nikon D5200 Housing (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Whales benefit from action on noise (via BBC)
- Anti-Anxiety Drugs Change Fish Behavior (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Rare giant armadillo birth recorded (via BBC)
- Introducing Pure Apnea - a new freediving kid on the block (via African Diver)
- Rescued oil birds set to be released (via BBC)
- VIDEO: Dolphins surprise tourist boat (via BBC)
- Our World Underwater 2013 Coverage (via DivePhotoGuide)