Raja site invites photo submissions
Registration open for SNUPS 2015
Video: Tofua’a: Seeing Eye to Eye with Tonga’s Humpback Whales.
New paper shows whale ears “float” in their heads
In a new paper published March 11, scientists illustrate how marine mammals adapted their hearing to the underwater environment by evolving their inner and middle ears. These parts of their ears actually “float” inside of their heads, separate from their skulls that vibrate from underwater sound waves. This allows the marine mammals to hear more clearly and isolate the direction sound is coming from.
Introducing USB Type C
Apple has announced that their new Macbook computers will be equipped with USB-C connections, ahead of what is expected to be universal adoption by the computer industry. Photo District News reports that the idea behind the new connection is that it will ultimately replace the current myriad of options into a single design.
Coral, Fire and Ice in Calgary
Dr. Eugenie Clark by Howard Rosenstein
Video: Wakatobi Part 3 by Earth Touch
Earth Touch has continued their video exploration of Wakatobi in this week’s Wild Oceans episode. The video features more reef inhabitants, filmed by Stewart Whitfield. Amongst the species are Clark’s anemonefish (Amphiprion clarkii), the longnose butterflyfish (Forcipiger flavissimus) and the elusive freckled hawkfish (Paracirrhites forsteri).
- Canon photographer Tyler Stableford on photographing whale sharks (via )
- Wetpixel black and white article on Outdoor Photographer (via )
- Underwater photography in space (via )
- Kodak’s 360 degree action cam (via )
- Issue 81 of Underwater Photographer Magazine is now available (via )
- Go diving in Nevada before or after DEMA this year (via )
- Oceana study shows one-third of shrimp sold is mislabeled (via )
- Gordon Laing reviews the Panasonic LX100 4K compact (via )
- Great White Sharks NG photo of the day by Marc Henauer (via )
- Sea lion attacks scuba diver (via )