Video: Paddle boarder has near miss with whale
A paddle boarder in Santa Cruz had quite a scare when a humpback whale surfaced within inches of his board. The whale was feeding and the entire incident was caught on video. Remarkably the paddle boarder was not injured and even managed to stay on his board.
Retra releases LSD Ultimate
Retra has announced an updated version of their Light Shaping Device (LSD). The LSD Ultimate has a lighter aluminum housing and a separate optical tube and mounting module. The latter are interchangeable and available for Sea&Sea, Inon, Seacam and Ikelite strobes. The company is also offering three different packs of masks to accompany the LSD.
The 2015 Ocean Views entry deadline is soon
Video: Borneo From Below Episode 18
Borneo From Below episode 18 is now online. This week the episode features Scubazoo’s senior cameraman Chris Tan. The episode is titled, “A Day in the Life of an Underwater Cameraman,” and focuses on what it takes to do this job for a living.
Rumour: Nikon is purchasing Samsung
Petapixel reports on a rumour that Nikon has bought Samsung’s imaging technology. Recently, Samsung has been withdrawing its imaging products from European markets. The unconfirmed story is that Nikon will use Samsung’s NX resources to build mirrorless cameras that may rival Sony’s offerings. (Image from Petapixel).
Anonymous attacks Icelandic whaling
Video: Encounter with a Nautilus
NOAA reopens Florida shark fishery
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) has decided to open commercial shark fishing at Jupiter, Florida. This targets all species of shark found in the area, including lemon (Negaprion brevirostris), tiger (Galeocerdo cuvier), and hammerhead (Sphyrna mokarran) sharks. It is perhaps important to note that NOAA has not proposed any form of catch limit on the fishery, nor any measures to prevent the commercial fishing of shark protected by CITES.
- Video: Massive Dolphin Pod off California (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Wetpixel Launches Redesign and New Features (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Dead whale washed up on shoreline (via BBC)
- Marine Bacteria to Help Sinusitis Sufferers (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Photos of an Underwater Nuclear Explosion (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Killer plants glow blue to lure prey (via BBC)
- Interview: Photographing Newsweek’s First Animated Cover (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Ikelite Announces Nikon D5200 Housing (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Whales benefit from action on noise (via BBC)
- Anti-Anxiety Drugs Change Fish Behavior (via DivePhotoGuide)