Optical Ocean Sales expands
Big Blue Live airs tonight in UK and US
Big Blue Live airs tonight on PBS in the United States and on BBC One in the UK. Big Blue Live is a live television broadcast from Monterey Bay, California spread over three consecutive nights. At this time of year Monterey Bay is home to blue whales, sea otters, humpback whales, great white sharks, elephant seals, albatross and risso’s dolphins, all which will be covered by numerous cameras in the air and water.
Wetpixel Whale Sharks 2016
We will be running two trips to Isla Mujeres for the amazing whale shark (Rhincodon typus) in 2016. The dates are 01 to 07 and 07 to 13 August. As always, our trips are renown for offering photographic opportunities that other operators cannot. We specialize in maximizing time with the sharks when the large numbers of other boats are not around. The aggregation itself is an amazing event with hundreds of these amazing animals gathering in tight groups.
Andy Casagrande featured on the RED Collective
Instagram allows portrait and landscape aspect ratios
Instagram has now relaxed their rules regarding aspect ratios and users can now share photos and videos in both portrait and landscape orientation. In order to do so, there is now a format icon that allows users to adjust the orientation to portrait or landscape instead of square. Once the image or video are shared, the full-sized version of it will appear in follower’s feed.
Behind the scenes of a single take underwater video
Champion freediver Marina Kazankova holds her breath for five minutes during this single shot underwater music video for “Lydia” by Highly Suspect. The behind the scenes video shows how the music video was shot and the feelings the band hoped to evoke from the viewers through this video.
Review: Fantasea FG7X housing
Wetpixel editor provides a review of the Fantasia FG7X housing for the Canon PowerShot G7 X compact camera. The housing was tested during the recent Wetpixel Whale Sharks expedition to Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Canon announces the EOS M3
Canon USA has announced the EOS M3 mirrorless camera. Designed for “enthusiast photographers”; it features a 24.2 megapixel APS-C sized sensor with an ISO range of 100 to 12,800 and the DIGIC 6 Image Processor. It has a 49 point hybrid AF system and front an drear control dials. The company also announced 11-22mm f4-5.6 zoom and and a 22mm f2 compact prime lens among others.
- The bug-hunters finding new species in their spare time (via BBC)
- Seafood Restaurant Fines Customers for Wasted Food (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Drug residues ‘alter fish behaviour’ (via BBC)
- Disabled Loggerhead Turtle Gets Prosthetic Fins (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Nauticam Announces NA-G15 Housing (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Australia's Shark Fin Appetite (via DivePhotoGuide)
- BBC Slideshow: Taking the Best Wildlife Shots (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Five Reasons to Love Underwater Photography on Valentine’s Day (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Will the Frankenfish get FDA Approval? (via DivePhotoGuide)
- In Pictures: National Nest Box Week (via BBC)