Seawalls: Murals for Oceans by PangeaSeed
PangeaSeed, an international nonprofit that aims to connect people to the ocean through art, is sending several well known street artists to Isla Mujeres this summer for the annual whale shark aggregation to swim with sharks and then create an inspiring mural as part of its Sea Walls project.
Nikon announces the D810 SLR
Nikon has announced the D810 SLR. The camera features a new 36.3 megapixel FX-format (7360 x 4912 resolution) CMOS sensor, AF via the Multi-Cam 3500-FX AF sensor module and the EXPEED 4 image processing engine. These means that, compared with the D800, the camera has improved ISO performance, faster and more accurate AF and a faster frame rate.
New paper on “Disco Clams”
Lecture: Eric Cheng and Hidden Ocean Worlds
Wetpixel Publisher Eric Cheng delivered a lecture entitled “Hidden Ocean Worlds” to the CreativeMornings community, Los Angeles on March 28, 2014. CreativeMornings “is a breakfast lecture series for the creative community.” In his lecture, Eric talks about “sharks, jellies, and tiny, bizarre critters.”
Final call: NCUPS contests 2014
The Northern California Underwater Photographic Society (NCUPS) is making a final call for entries to the SEA International Underwater Photo and Video Competition and the Bob Commer Award of Excellence in Underwater Photography. The deadline for entries is 30 June.
Interview with Benjamin Von Wong
Video: Rare all white humpback whale spotted
The albino humpback whale, nicknamed “Migaloo”, was spotted on June 19th off the Green Cape in New South Wales, Australia. The whale has been spotted before and is believed to be approximately 26 to 28 years old.
Wetpixel Channel Islands 2014
Join Wetpixel Publisher Eric Cheng and professional photographer Jason Bradley for a weekend of diving and underwater photography in California’s Southern Channel Islands. We will be targeting San Clemente, Santa Barbara, and Catalina islands to dive with and photograph sea lions, California’s majestic kelp forests, and giant black sea bass.
- Galapagos shark by Thomas Peschak - NG photo of the day (via )
- Seaglider shows marks from giant squid (via )
- Tonic immobility potentially harmful to sharks (via )
- Sony updates A7 and A7R. Major performance improvements (via )
- Canon releases bug fixing firmware for EOS 6D (via )
- Nikon updates D4 firmware to v1.10 (via )
- Spearfisherman films aggressive reef shark with GoPro (via )
- Dolphin and surfer collide off Australia (via )
- The story of Horseshoe Crab blood (via )
- Obama expands protection for California coastline (via )