Interview with Luis Javier Sandoval by Por el Planeta
Video: Preview of Tales by Light
A new six part series, Tales by Light, follows five world recognized travel and wildlife photographers throughout their journeys, including underwater photographer Darren Jew. The series premiered this week in Australia and is a joint effort between Canon Australia and National Geographic.
Rogue ales releases Wasted Sea Star Purple Pale Ale
Rogue Ales of Newport, Oregon has released a new pale ale, Wasted Sea Star Purple Pale Ale, to raise awareness about sea star wasting syndrome. The beer has a purple hue thanks to the use of purple corn nectar in the brew. A portion of the proceeds from the sales will go towards research conducted by Partnership for Interdisciplinary Studies of Coastal Oceans (PISCO).
Aquatica announces housing for EOS 5Ds, 5Dr and 5D Mk III
Aquatica has released details of their new housing for the Canon 5Ds, 5Dsr and 5D Mk III. The A4Dsr has improved ergonomics, a control extender arm for ISO control and an oversized, brightly colored button for record start/stop. Aquatica are offering the option of integrating Ikelite’s TTL circuitry into the housing.
Spaces available: Wetpixel Whale Sharks 2015
Wetpixel has two spaces available on their Whale Shark Expedition to Isla Mujeres this year. The trip is running from 26 July to 1 August and like our previous trips, will give the very best opportunities to snorkel and photograph large numbers of whale sharks. During the past two years trips, we have seen large numbers of manta rays too!
Video: Chris Burkard at TED
Gizmodo features deep fish collecting
Norbert Wu’s Favorite Images: My first photographs
In those week’s episode of underwater photographer Norbert Wu’s favorite images column, he tells the story of how he came to be an underwater photographer, and shows us some of the first images he took. They were shot with a Nikonos IV and feature macro images of a spotjaw blenny (Acanthemblemaria rivasi).
- Dogs ‘understand minds of humans’ (via BBC)
- Newsweek’s First Animated Cover Captured by Underwater… (via DivePhotoGuide)
- California Moves to Add Sharks to Endangered Species List (via DivePhotoGuide)
- DPG Announces January Monthly Contest Winners (via DivePhotoGuide)
- World’s largest captive croc dies (via BBC)
- Video of the Week: How Nikkor Lenses are Made (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Sockeye Salmon Use Magnetic Field to Navigate Home (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Shark’s Immune System Inspires Cancer Research (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Apple RAW Updates Compatibility (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Cold-Water Volcanic Vent Discovered (via DivePhotoGuide)