Spaces available on Doubilet workshop
National Geographic photographer David Doubilet and his photographic partner Jen Hayes, along with digital post production artist Hal Silverman have a few spaces left on their underwater photography workshop. It is being held from 16 to 23 May at Sunset House on Grand Cayman. The instructional team do not offer these workshops often, so it represents a great opportunity to enhance your photographic skills with some of the true “masters” of the art.
Celebrating the birth of Mako Cheng
Wetpixel publisher Eric Cheng has announced the birth of his son Mako Edward Cheng on 21 February at 23:52. Mother and baby are both doing well. I’m sure the Wetpixel community will join in wishing Eric, Pam and Mako huge congratulations and wish them all the very best of good luck and fortune.
Launch of underwater photo exhibit at Nemo 33
Image: Alien Abstract by Daniel Selmeczi
Photoshop celebrates 25 years of digital manipulation
Photoshop celebrates its 25 year anniversary today. The software, originally called Display, was invented in 1987 by Thomas Knoll who then attempted to monetise it. Photoshop has since been released in 18 versions, and its name is now used a verb to describe any image that has been edited (“photoshopped”).
Divers discover gold coins off Mediterranean coast of Israel
Divers have discovered a trove of gold coins off the Mediterranean coast of Israel. The approximately 2,000 gold coins are believed to be 1,000 years old and are priceless in value.
Image: At the Office by Viktor Lyagushkin
Viktor Lyagushkin of Phototeam.pro has posted a picture of his new “office” onto Facebook. He was working with Nikon on an educational project and found that he needed some underwater images as illustrations. The closest site with clear water was Tver Quarry, near the city of Tver, Russia and Viktor teamed up with freediver Igor Azhykin to create this amazing image.
Video: 50 shades of Nudibranch
Earthtouch’s Wild Oceans YouTube channel features a short film entitled “50 shaded of Nudibranch.” It features footage of nudibranchs shot on the pristine reefs of Sodwana Bay, Kwazulu Natal, South Africa and includes an encounter with a dancing marine flatworm and a pair of nudibranchs in a lover’s embrace.
- New product - the Quikpod (via African Diver)
- Dolphin therapy and swimming with dolphins (via African Diver)
- Bull shark research in Mozambique - 3 Fathoms (via African Diver)
- Dive China 2013 (via African Diver)
- Conservation in Mozambique - Eyes on the Horizon (via African Diver)
- DRT Show - World-class DIVING, RESORT & TRAVEL EXPO on December… (via African Diver)
- If August was bad November was worse! 4 mantas killed by gill… (via African Diver)
- Issue 25 now available (via African Diver)
- In Pictures: Cracking croc scales (via BBC)
- DIVEMAG English Issue 10 (via )