Update on Fiji Siren
Yesterday, Worldwide Dive and Sail (WWDS) announced that the Fiji Siren had been lost at sea during its current charter. As the organization has begun investigations into the incident, a statement was released today with more details about the circumstance. Again, Wetpixel is relieved to report that all crew and passengers are safe and unharmed.
Call for entries: UPY 2018
The 2018 Underwater Photographer of the Year (UPY) contest is open for entries. It offers 8 categories for entries captured in international waters, and 3 specific to images from the UK. The deadline for entries is 2 January 2018, with the winners being announced in early February 2018.
Adobe releases Lightroom Downloader app
Travel Guide: GALÁPAGOS is available for preorder
Study utilizes detailed photomosaics to analyze coral distribution
Scientists from the Scripps Institution of Oceanography have published a paper in the journal Coral Reefs, showing how the creation of detailed photomosaics of the reef at Palmyra Atoll, has shown remarkable recurring patterns in the way corals are distributed. The team surveyed 17,000 square feet of reef at Palmyra, some 44,000 coral colony and created 39,000 images that were stitched into 3D photomosaics. Each of these consists of 2,500 to 3,500 images captured with 2 Nikon D7000 16.2 megapixel cameras.
Fiji Siren has been lost at sea
Nauticam announces NA-G9 housing
Nauticam has announced their new housing for the Panasonic G9 mirrorless camera. It has a geared lever for the shutter release, and the rear AF/AE lock button (which can be assigned to back button AF) also has a lever. Strobe triggering is optical with the optional mini flash trigger from the GH5.
Volunteers save beached sperm whales in Indonesia
Early monday morning ten sperm whales were spotted beached along shore in the Aceh Province of Indonesia. Approximately 50 volunteers organized through conservation groups entered the water and worked through the night to attempt to rescue the whales. While six of the sperm whales were rescued, four of the whales unfortunately died. Beachings are not very common in Indonesia, however, a group of 29 pilot whales stranded in 2016 close to Jakarta.
- Leonardo DiCaprio pushes Mexican president to commit to saving… (via )
- Canon updates EOS M5 firmware to 1.0.1 (via )
- Tourist attacked by Komodo Dragon in Indonesia (via )
- China’s appetite for seafood pushes fisheries to the brink (via )
- Adobe updates Photoshop CC to 2017.1.1 (via )
- Mesmerizing video of pigments in water (via )
- Manatees use the hair on their bodies to sense the world around… (via )
- Canon updates EOS 7D Mark II firmware to 1.1.1 (via )
- How to search online for your stolen images (via )
- Arri announces SUP5.0 for Amira and Alexa Mini (via )