Sperm whale rescue and recycling nets
In related news, a team from the Center for Coastal Studies, Massachusetts, USA, is seeking funding to undertake a rescue mission to remove a rope that has entangled a spem wjhale off Dominica and Fourth Element has launched their new range of OceanPositive clothing made of fiber from recycled ghost fishing nets
Google expands street view to include 40 more underwater locations
Google Street View has added 40 new locations around the world to their catalog of underwater locations just in time for World Oceans Day on June 8, 2015. Street View has worked in partnership with XL carlin Seaview Survey, NOAA’s office of National Marine Sanctuaries and the Chagos Conservation Trust. The locations include American Samoa, Bali, Bahamas and the Great Barrier Reef.
Norbert Wu’s Favorite Images: Monterey
In this week’s episode of underwater photographer Norbert Wu’s favorite images column, he talks about his return to diving in Monterey Bay and an image of a juvenile crab in a pelagic jellyfish (Pelagia colorata) that he shot with a Nikonos equipped withe extension tubes.
Happy World Oceans Day 2015
TTRobotix launches the Seawolf underwater drone
Video: Flying mobulas
Article: Avoiding data loss
FIX ships their Neo Mini 1000 SW video light
FIX is shipping their 1000 lumen Neo Mini SW video light. Offering both 25° spot and 95° wide modes, the light has externally rechargeable swappable batteries and its output can be controlled in 25% increments.
- First Signs of Life Discovered in Antarctica’s Lake Whillans (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Shark Man serious after crash (via African Diver)
- How do you give a polar bear a ‘medical’? (via BBC)
- Great White Shark Finned in Mozambique (via African Diver)
- In Pictures: Tracking hammerheads (via BBC)
- A New Video from the Herparazzi! (via )
- In Pictures: Monitoring manta rays (via BBC)
- Durban Protest Against Marine Mammal Captivity (via African Diver)
- Bioluminescence: nature lights up (via BBC)
- Chernobyl mammals tracked in snow (via BBC)