Underwater photo takes top prize in Royal Society Publishing photo competition
This was the first year of the Royal Society Publishing photography competition, a competition meant to “celebrate the power of photography to communicate science”. The competition is sponsored by Proceedings of the Royal Society B and Biology Letters and honors the 350th anniversary of the scientific journal.
Ask the Pros: Macro Part 1
Wetpixel’s Ask the Pros column returns with an amazing round-up of macro shooting ideas and techniques. The subject is a vast one, and it was difficult to refine it to a manageable number of questions, so it is likely that we will revisit the topic at a later date.
Effort made to protect smelt when SF Bay Bridge was detonated
The largest pier of the old San Francisco Bay Bridge was detonated in a controlled explosion saturday. Caltrans imploded the upper portion of the pier with 22,000 pounds of dynamite at 7:17am, a time when officials hoped to take advantage of light traffic, slack tide and limited smelt. That’s right, a concerted effort was made to protect the endangered longfin smelt.
Video: Just Like You by Rafa Herrero
Rafa Herrero has posted his amazing short film and call to action “Just Like You” on the Wetpixel forums. By visually comparing a world champion freediver to pilot whales, he points out the similarities between him and whale. This then calls into question our ongoing hunting of whales.
Nikon confirms D5 plans
In a press release, Nikon USA has confirmed that it plans to launch a new FX format pro camera body. The D5: will offer professional photographers an even higher level of performance and image quality.” The specifications and launch date of the new camera have not yet been announced.
Video: Earth Touch Manta Ray somersaults
Borneo from Below: Baby Turtle Volcano
Borneo From Below has released episode 16 online. This week, Bertie is present to observe the hatching of a relocated nest of sea turtle eggs that he assisted in relocation. This week’s episode is titled, “Baby Turtle Volcano”.
View from a Blue Moon premieres
Surfer John Florence and Director Blake Vincent Kueny are releasing the first surf film that has been filmed entirely in 4K resolution. “View from a Blue Moon” features footage of Florence and others surfing around the globe and has been described as “possibly the most exquisite surf movie ever made”.
- Nikon D600 and Nauticam NA-D600 Review (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Sony Updates Firmware for NEX Series (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Nauticam Announces Housing for Sony NEX 6 (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Indonesia: WWF's Lida Pet-Soede on Overfishing (via DivePhotoGuide)
- RIP Point-and-Shoots? (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Top 10 DPG Features from 2012 (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Sentencing of shark catcher welcomed (via African Diver)
- British Wildlife Photography Awards Now Open (via DivePhotoGuide)
- New York Underwater Photography Society Meeting: Adding Divers… (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Video of the Week: “Life of a Wave Photographer” (via DivePhotoGuide)