SharkBase seeks citizen shark scientists
Blackmagic Design announces new products
Blackmagic Design has announced a slew of new products. They have updated their URSA camera Mini version, offering 15 stops of dynamic range and 4.6K sensor options. Also new is the Micro Cinema camera, which is designed for “remote shooting”, for which I read underwater! The company are offering a monitoring/recording solution called the Blackmagic Video Assist and have updated Fusion and DaVinci Resolve.
RED announces 8K Weapon Vista Vision camera
Nauticam releases housing for Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II
Nauticam is now shipping their housing for the Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II camera. It features one button access to the camera’s LV Super Control Panel, fiber optic strobe triggering and the option of attaching 45° or 180° viewfinders for use with the camera’s electronic viewfinder.
Review: Canon Powershot G7 X by Alex Tattersall
Wetpixel Industry member, Alex Tattersall of Nauticam UK presents a review of the performance of the Canon Powershot G7 X compact camera after a trip using it in Lembeh. He highlights the issues that the camera’s lens configuration presents for underwater use, but finds that it is capable of providing excellent image quality in a very small package
Only 5 Irrawaddy dolphin remain on the planet
On the first of this month, the body of an Irrawaddy dolphin was discovered by villagers in Cambodia. Now, only 5 living dolphin remain of the critically endangered species.
Nikon announces firmware updates for D4S, D810 and D750 cameras
Nikon has announced firmware updates for its D4S, D810 and D750 cameras. This will provide support for timecode imprinting and recording control functions via HDMI. This update will allow more efficient use of Atomos Shogun or Ninja-2 external video recorders in capturing uncompressed data from the cameras.
American Airlines announces it will no longer ship shark fins
In an announcement via twitter earlier today, American Airlines announced that it will no longer ship shark fins. Conservation organizations Turtle Island Restoration Network and PRETOMA found evidence that the airlines were complicit in the illegal transport of protected hammerhead shark fins from Costa Rica to Hong Kong, with a touchdown on US soil, which is illegal under federal law.
- A day in the life of underwater photographers Tina Terras and… (via )
- Steve-O cited for Sea World sign prank (via )
- Apple updates Final Cut Pro X to 10.1.4 (via )
- Issue 17 of Anima Mundi magazine is now available for download (via )
- Adobe releases Lightroom 5.7 and Camera RAW 8.7 (via )
- Apple updates Camera RAW compatibility to 6.1 (via )
- Photoshelter updates the CF/SD/XQD card database (via )
- Jellyfish cam is live at the Monterey Bay Aquarium (via )
- Tutorial about another way of correcting fisheye distortion (via )
- A plug-in to correct for fisheye lens distortion (via )