How to love a whale shark
Image: Sardine Run 2013
South African Graham Fenwick captured this amazing image during the 2013 sardine run. Despite there not having been much of a “run” this year, Graham’s image eloquently shows that when baitballs occurred, there was plenty of action!
Shawn Heinrichs to speak at TEDxBoulder
Divers carry out sea urchin cull
Wetpixel Whale Sharks 2014
We are building a list of people who may be interested in an expedition to Isla Mujeres for the whale shark aggregation in 2014. Dates and prices for the trip are still to be confirmed, however by adding you name to the list we will ensure that as these details become firmer you will be kept in the loop. If you would like to be added to the list, please contact us via the Wetpixel contact page.
Contour closes its doors
Action cam manufacturer Contour has closed its doors and ceased production. The reasons cited for the failure are the prominence of GoPro in the market and the company’s Seattle base making it difficult to access funding.
10 Bar announces housing for Olympus OMD-EM5
10 Bar has released details of their housing for the Olympus OMD EM-5 mirrorless camera. It has an aluminum front section, with a clear acrylic back featuring a double o ring seal. Strobe triggering is available via fiber optic bulkheads and 10 Bar has port support for the 12-50mm, 60mm, 14/20mm and 8mm lenses.
Video: Crab vs. methane vent
An ROV surveying methane vents at 4,130 ft as a part of Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute project around Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada, captured some amazing footage of a deep-sea crab “hunting” a vent.
- Secrets of breath holding mammals revealed (via )
- Build your own plastic camera (via )
- Sylvia Earle’s latest blog post on Huffington Post Green (via )
- UW photos of Bryde’s whale in full balloon mode (via )
- Coca Rocha talks about using moving cinemagraphs (via )
- David duChemin on being more creative (via )
- The Daily Mail features the results of DEEP Indonesia (via )
- Windows adds raw support for 22 cameras (via )
- Apple updates its Digital Camera Raw compatibility to 4.06 (via )
- Olympus releases firmware updates for OMD and PEN cameras (via )