Image: Alien Abstract by Daniel Selmeczi
Photoshop celebrates 25 years of digital manipulation
Photoshop celebrates its 25 year anniversary today. The software, originally called Display, was invented in 1987 by Thomas Knoll who then attempted to monetise it. Photoshop has since been released in 18 versions, and its name is now used a verb to describe any image that has been edited (“photoshopped”).
Divers discover gold coins off Mediterranean coast of Israel
Divers have discovered a trove of gold coins off the Mediterranean coast of Israel. The approximately 2,000 gold coins are believed to be 1,000 years old and are priceless in value.
Image: At the Office by Viktor Lyagushkin
Viktor Lyagushkin of Phototeam.pro has posted a picture of his new “office” onto Facebook. He was working with Nikon on an educational project and found that he needed some underwater images as illustrations. The closest site with clear water was Tver Quarry, near the city of Tver, Russia and Viktor teamed up with freediver Igor Azhykin to create this amazing image.
Video: 50 shades of Nudibranch
Earthtouch’s Wild Oceans YouTube channel features a short film entitled “50 shaded of Nudibranch.” It features footage of nudibranchs shot on the pristine reefs of Sodwana Bay, Kwazulu Natal, South Africa and includes an encounter with a dancing marine flatworm and a pair of nudibranchs in a lover’s embrace.
Kickstarter campaign to find the loneliest whale in the ocean
Wetpixel Ultimate French Polynesia
Join Wetpixel on our trip to French Polynesia to dive with huge schools of gray reef sharks (Carcharhinus amblyrhynchos) and the annual marbled or camouflaged grouper (Epinephelus polyphekadion) spawning aggregation for which its atolls are famous.
RIP Richard Theiss
Filmmaker, photographer and passionate ocean conservationist, Richard Theiss passed away earlier this month. He was dedicated to capturing nature and underwater images that would move viewers to preserve and protect our precious natural resources. The Wetpixel community sends our thoughts and prayers to his friends and family. (Image by Amanda Cotton).
- Issue 29 of African Diver is now available (via )
- Tangled manta ray cut free by divers in Costa Rica (via )
- Nikon updates Capture NX-D and other software (via )
- Split of iguana NG photo of the day by Lorenzo Mittiga (via )
- Olympus updates E-M1 firmware (via )
- Photo related features of the Apple Watch (via )
- Nikon D810 cameras with thermal fix marked with blue dot on box (via )
- Underwater wedding portraits are booming in Shanghai (via )
- New underwater mushroom shaped organisms discovered (via )
- Anima Mundi issue 16 is available to download (via )