Divers discover gold coins off Mediterranean coast of Israel
Divers have discovered a trove of gold coins off the Mediterranean coast of Israel. The approximately 2,000 gold coins are believed to be 1,000 years old and are priceless in value.
Image: At the Office by Viktor Lyagushkin
Viktor Lyagushkin of Phototeam.pro has posted a picture of his new “office” onto Facebook. He was working with Nikon on an educational project and found that he needed some underwater images as illustrations. The closest site with clear water was Tver Quarry, near the city of Tver, Russia and Viktor teamed up with freediver Igor Azhykin to create this amazing image.
Video: 50 shades of Nudibranch
Earthtouch’s Wild Oceans YouTube channel features a short film entitled “50 shaded of Nudibranch.” It features footage of nudibranchs shot on the pristine reefs of Sodwana Bay, Kwazulu Natal, South Africa and includes an encounter with a dancing marine flatworm and a pair of nudibranchs in a lover’s embrace.
Kickstarter campaign to find the loneliest whale in the ocean
Wetpixel Ultimate French Polynesia
Join Wetpixel on our trip to French Polynesia to dive with huge schools of gray reef sharks (Carcharhinus amblyrhynchos) and the annual marbled or camouflaged grouper (Epinephelus polyphekadion) spawning aggregation for which its atolls are famous.
RIP Richard Theiss
Filmmaker, photographer and passionate ocean conservationist, Richard Theiss passed away earlier this month. He was dedicated to capturing nature and underwater images that would move viewers to preserve and protect our precious natural resources. The Wetpixel community sends our thoughts and prayers to his friends and family. (Image by Amanda Cotton).
David Doubilet and Jennifer Hayes in Seattle
Photographic partnership David Doubilet and Jennifer Hayes are to present their “Coral, Fire, and Ice: Exploring Secret Underwater Worlds” lecture at the Benaroya Hall, Seattle, Washington on 22,23 and 24 February.
Happy lunar New Year for the Year of the Sheep
Wetpixel would like to wish everyone celebrating the lunar New Year much happiness and prosperity for the Year of the Sheep (or Goat). May your celebrations be festive and your year be filled with safe diving and fantastic imaging opportunities.
- Photo related features of the Apple Watch (via )
- Nikon D810 cameras with thermal fix marked with blue dot on box (via )
- Underwater wedding portraits are booming in Shanghai (via )
- New underwater mushroom shaped organisms discovered (via )
- Anima Mundi issue 16 is available to download (via )
- Enormous mantis shrimp caught in Florida (via )
- Canon trails firmware update for C300/C500 for release in… (via )
- Seacam announces D810 housing-details to follow (via )
- Australia to scrap plan for dumping near Great Barrier Reef (via )
- British Wildlife Photography Awards 2014 announced (via )