Borneo from Below: Coral in crisis
Video: Earth Touch mating seahorses
Apple adds 4K support to iMovie
Canon announces two PowerShot compact cameras
Canon has announced the G5 X and G9 X compact cameras. Both feature a 1” 20.2 megapixel sensor giving a native ISO range of 125 to 12,800 and can record 1080p video at 24p, 30p and 60p. The G5 X has a 24-100mm (equivalent) zoom lens, while the G9 X has a 28-84mm. Controls on the G5 X include front and rear control dials and a lens mounted control ring, while the G9 X has touch screen control with a lens control dial only.
The Goliath Diaries by Alan C Egan
Underwater photographer Alan C Egan has volunteered to write a series of posts about diving the goliath grouper aggregation off Boynton Beach, Florida this year. Large numbers of goliath groupers (Epinephelus itajara) gather to form spawning aggregations, with up to 100 individuals at any one site. Given that the fish can reach up to 455kg (800lbs) and over 3m (6 ft 6”), it is an amazing spectacle. He will be updating his reports as he carries out dives, so please keep checking back.
Sea World San Diego banned from breeding Orcas
The California Coastal Commission has approved Sea World San Diego’s plans to double their current killer whale tank from a 5.8 million gallon pool to a 9.6 million gallon pool with a caveat, they may not breed new killer whales and they may not collect killer whales from the wild. The expansion plan will cost $100 million US and will create a larger home for they current 11 captive orcas.
Reikan releases FoCal v.2.0
Reikan has announced the release of version 2.0 of their FoCal focus tuning app. The app enables users to tune their camera and lens performance, with significant improvements in image quality, particularly with high resolution SLR cameras. The new version offers the ability to share results, more information about camera performance, improved speed and reports and voice prompts.
Image: Cardinal fish releasing fry by Elio Nicosia
- Instagram announces Layout #Wetpixelgram (via )
- How Kodak is trying to reinvent itself (via )
- Camera RAW and DNG converter 8.8 now available (via )
- Adobe announces supported OS for updated Creative Cloud (via )
- Deadline to enter the Nature’s Best Photo contest Mar 31 (via )
- Poached sturgeon gets resuscitated (via )
- Largest freshwater fish ever caught (and released) (via )
- Top chefs commit to serving sustainable seafood (via )
- Sony announces firmware updates for pro video cameras (via )
- New EyeFi 32GB mobi pro SD card (via )