Ikelite releases torch mounting options
Ikelite has released a series of mounting kits for their Gamma LED lights. These allow them to be attached to the cold shoes on housings, or to be attached to the handles on Ikelite camera trays via 1” ball or locline mountings.
Untamed Americas receives Emmy Award
The National Geographic series, Untamed Americas, received an Emmy Award for “Outstanding Cinematography” last night. Hearty congratulations to underwater filmmaker and Wetpixel Moderator Shawn Heinrichs as well as Wetpixel contributors Andy Brandy Casagrande (ABC) and Cristian Dimitrius who were all a part of the team of talented individuals that were involved in its creation.
Great White Sharks feed on whale carcass: Video
GoPro releases the HERO3+
G Pro has announced an update to its HERO3 POV cams. The HERO3+ is available in two versions, Black and Silver. Both are smaller and lighter. The former has a 30% increase in battery life, a new sharper lens, a super wide-angle mode and an auto low light mode. The Silver gets 1080p60 and 720p120 capture modes and a faster processor.
Study shows the power of computational lens corrections
Video: Nudibranchs and Sea slugs of Guam part two
Image: Dragging the Shutter by John Chandler
John Chandler posted this image on the Wetpixel Facebook group. It is perhaps a salutary reminder that good technique can often create images when ambient conditions make this difficult or impossible to do conventionally. John entitled the image “Dragging the Shutter” which is also how he managed to capture it.
Google+ improves its RAW conversion
Google+ has improved its RAW to JPEG conversion process. For about a year, it has been possible to upload image files, including RAW files, onto the Google+ servers to act as a backup. In order to view these files, they must be converted to JPEG. Google’s acquisition of Nik Photography has allowed them to fine-tune the conversion process with, what the company states, are improved results.
- Large numbers of dead dolphins on US East coast is a cause for… (via )
- Apple offers free repairs and upgrades to some 2011 iMacs (via )
- High-tech underwater imaging by the Scripps Institute (via )
- New hammerhead shark species discovered (via )
- Summer issue of Alert Diver now available (via )
- First shark fin citation given to Chicago restaurant (via )
- European algae biofuel project moves forward (via )
- Dead dolphins washing ashore on east coast (via )
- EOS 70D preview and images (via )
- Hunting octopus on Scuba banned in Puget sound (via )