Video: Big Wave Surfing by Aaron Eveland
Sony announces PXW-Z150 4K camcorder
Sony has announced the PXW-Z150 4K camcorder. It features a 1” stacked CMOS sensor which provides “clear, sharp pictures in extreme low-light conditions”. Output is available in 4K at 100Mbps and HD at frame rates of up to 120fps. Remote operation is available via wifi and internal recording is to two SC card slots.
Icelandic fin whale hunt cancelled
According to the Icelandic Monitor, the operators of the annual Icelandic fin whale (Balaenoptera physalus) hunt have cancelled their hunt planned for summer 2016. The company that carries out the hunt, Hvalur, exports the whale meat to Japan and claims that the way it is tested by the Japanese means the hunt is not viable. Photo from Shutterstock.
Final Call: Wildlife Photographer of the Year 2016
Final call: DEEP Indonesia 2016
DEEP Indonesia, one of the world’s most prestigious underwater photography contest will close for entries at 11:59pm (Pacific Time) on 25 February. You have just over one more day to enter and try to win some of the over $100,000 worth of prizes that are on offer in the UnderwaterCompetition.com series.
Video: Earth Touch Wild Oceans
Sigma announces E-mount converter
Sigma has announced that it plans to produce a converter that will allow the use of Sigma EOS and Sigma mount lenses with Sony E-mount cameras. The converter will allow full AF and bridges between Sony in-camera OS and Sigma’s lens OS. It features an LED display that provides the user with feedback regarding lens compatibility.
Nikon announces DL compact camera series
Nikon has announced three new compact cameras with a new 20.8-megapixel (CX-format) 1-inch BSI CMOS sensor. The DL24-85 offers a 24-85mm focal length and a “Super Macro Mode”. The DL18-50 has a focal length of 18-50mm while the DL24-500’s is 24-500mm. All three cameras offer 4K UHD video capability [3840x2160] at 30p.
- Obama administration delivers blow to Shell’s Arctic drilling… (via )
- The most common vertebrate in the world is a fish (via )
- Adobe Dehaze: a tool for dealing with backscatter (via )
- Facebook unveils new Snapchat-esque photo editing (via )
- Starfish excrete foreign bodies through their arms (via )
- Tamales Bay revival exceeds expectations in just seven years (via )
- Swimming with sharks off Oahu, Hawaii (via )
- NG photo of the day Orcas by Paul Nicklen (via )
- 33 year-old orca dies after a lifetime in captivity (via )
- Japan to resume Antarctic whaling later this… (via )