Ikelite ships dome diffusers
Ikelite has announced a dome diffuser for their DS161, DS160 and DS125 strobes. The diffusers increase and soften the spread of the beam, while the material has a high transmissivity which allows the strobes’ full output through. The strobes’ color temperature is unchanged at around 4800°K when the diffusers are used.
Wounded sea turtle gets a 3-D printed titanium jaw
When Pamukkale University’s Sea Turtle Research, Rescue and Rehabilitation center collaborated with the Turkish company Btech Innovation, they worked to fix the jaw of a wounded sea turtle. By using 3-D printer technology and titanium, a sea turtle whose only hope for survival would have been a life in captivity now has the chance to survive in the wild with a new titanium jaw.
Panasonic announces the LUMIX G7
Panasonic has announced the LUMIX DMC-G7 mirrorless micro 4/3s interchangeable lens camera. It offers 4K video at 30/24p, a 16.00-megapixel Digital Live MOS Sensor with the Venus Engine image processor and an ISO Range of up to 25,600. Autofocus is via contrast detection with low-light capability down to -4EV.
FIX ships their Neo 1000 DX SW light
FIX is shipping their new Neo 1000 video/dive light. It has an output of 1000 lumen and user selectable 100° or 30° beam modes. It also features an LED screen giving information, internal or external charging and output control at 25% or 1% steps. Burn time is 120 minutes at high power in spot mode and 90 minutes at high power in wide mode.
New cardinalfish described in the Bird’s Head
The Bird’s Head Seascape reports that Dr. Mark Erdman has discovered and recorded a new species of cardinalfish endemic to specific areas of the Brird’s Head seascape. Cercamia melanogaste has been confirmed as a new species by DNA analysis in the Journal of the Ocean Science Foundation.
Image: Banggai Cardinalfish by Billy Watson
Wetpixel asks the Pros: Wide-angle 1
In the second article of our “Ask the Pros” column, we have focused on wide-angle photography techniques. The subject is a huge one, and it was difficult to narrow it down to a manageable number of questions, so it is likely that we will revisit the topic at a later date. We are incredibly lucky to have so many busy professionals willingly sharing their techniques with the Wetpixel community. From us to all of them: Thank You!
Opah found to be first warm-blooded fish
- Napolean Wrasse by Christian Miller NG photo of the day (via )
- Kickstarter funded Pronto charges camera batteries 12x faster (via )
- Delkin debuts most rugged SD cards that are virtually… (via )
- Nikon updates Capture NX-D and View NX (via )
- New lithium batteries have lifespan of over 20 years (via )
- Humboldt squid attack Greenpeace submarine (via )
- Daniel Botelho captures splits shots of planes and snorkelers (via )
- Oceana finds rich biodiversity around Canary Islands (via )
- Panasonic patents optical viewfinder for mirrorless cameras that… (via )
- The Maldives trash island pollution problem (via )