New cardinalfish described in the Bird’s Head
The Bird’s Head Seascape reports that Dr. Mark Erdman has discovered and recorded a new species of cardinalfish endemic to specific areas of the Brird’s Head seascape. Cercamia melanogaste has been confirmed as a new species by DNA analysis in the Journal of the Ocean Science Foundation.
Image: Banggai Cardinalfish by Billy Watson
Wetpixel asks the Pros: Wide-angle 1
In the second article of our “Ask the Pros” column, we have focused on wide-angle photography techniques. The subject is a huge one, and it was difficult to narrow it down to a manageable number of questions, so it is likely that we will revisit the topic at a later date. We are incredibly lucky to have so many busy professionals willingly sharing their techniques with the Wetpixel community. From us to all of them: Thank You!
Opah found to be first warm-blooded fish
Interview: Brian Skerry on photographing dolphins
Wetpixel featured a gallery of images from photographer Brian Skerry’s article in the May issue of National Geographic Magazine. Wetpixel was able to catch Brian during one of his brief periods when he has internet access and ask him a few questions about the article, shooting for National Geographic and dolphins….
Aquatica releases D7200 compatibility notice
Aquatica has issued a press release clarifying the company’s position regarding the compatibility of their AD7100 housing for use with the Nikon D7200. It states that the AD7100 is fully compatible with the newer camera and that Aquatica do not plan to offer a new housing for the D7200.
Nauticam ships the NA-D7200
Nauticam are shipping their housing for the Nikon D7200 SLR camera. The NA-D7200 is 15% lighter than the NA-D7000, has improved ergonomics and the company’s vacuum electronics are factory installed. It also features a redesigned camera saddle with a vacuum system reset button and access to the camera’s programmable Fn button.
Video: Circling sharks, colourful nudibranchs and a cruising turtle
- Oceana finds rich biodiversity around Canary Islands (via )
- Panasonic patents optical viewfinder for mirrorless cameras that… (via )
- The Maldives trash island pollution problem (via )
- Wetpixel review of Nikon 810 on Nikon Rumors (via )
- NG photo of the day by Shane Gross (via )
- Camera RAW 8.7 Release Candidate available on Adobe Labs (via )
- Underwater landslide and earthquake triggered 2011 tsunami (via )
- 5 swimmers pulled from water after encounter with aggressive… (via )
- October issue of DIVE magazine available to download (via )
- Incredible close-up drone footage of a volcano in Iceland (via )