Happy Whale Shark Day
Wishing everyone a very happy Whale Shark Day! August 30th is International Whale Shark Day (Día del Tiburon Ballena), so declared in 2008 during the International Whale Shark Conference.
Video: Hunting hammerhead
WFLA news helicopter Eagle 8 filmed an amazing sequence showing a hammerhead shark hunting a ray in shallow water. Pilot Judd Chapin and photographer Peter Masa were flying over Anclote Key, Florida when they noticed the unfolding pursuit.
Image: UK blue sharks
Video shows deep-sea squid behavior
Footage captured by an MBARI ROV of the deep-sea squid Grimalditeuthis bonplandi shows the animal flapping and fluttering its tentacles, as if the limbs were swimming the on their own.
East cost dolphin deaths due to virus
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Association officials declare east coast dolphin die off a result of an outbreak of cetacean morbillivirus, a virus similar to measles.
Indonesia creates new manta ray sanctuary
The Indonesian government has declared over 4,000 square miles off Komodo and West Manggarai as a manta ray and shark sanctuary. The protected area includes coastal areas up to 12 nautical miles offshore.
Video: Aiding a manta
Sony announces new mirrorless cameras and lenses
Sony has announced two new mirrorless cameras and two new lenses. The α3000 has a 20.1 megapixel Exmor APS-C sensor with a native ISO range of 100-16000 and the NEX-5T is an update on the NEX-5R with the addition of Near Field Communication (NFC) for easy wi-fi connectivity. New lenses include the Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS and the E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS telephoto zooms.
- New Dryzone Bags by Lowepro (via )
- Photoshop CC tutorials available on Adobe TV (via )
- The most important cinema cameras of 2013 (via )
- Scientists discover shark spawning ground off Scotland (via BBC)
- Alien Skin updates Exposure 5 plug in (via )
- Secrets of breath holding mammals revealed (via )
- Build your own plastic camera (via )
- Sylvia Earle’s latest blog post on Huffington Post Green (via )
- UW photos of Bryde’s whale in full balloon mode (via )
- Coca Rocha talks about using moving cinemagraphs (via )