Six areas added to the California Coastal National Monument
Today President Obama designated an additional six areas as part of the California Coastal National Monument. The six areas total 6,230 acres and include some small islands off the coast of Orange County as well as a large piece of land in Santa Cruz. Currently all of the land is managed by the U.S. Bureau of Land Management, some of it since 2014, but the new status protects the areas from future development. Image from Shutterstock.
Call for entries: Dive Travel Show photo contest
Buceo Iberico in conjunction with Dive Travel Show has announced the 2017 Underwater Photo Contest Dive Travel Show. It is being held in conjunction with the Dive Travel Show which will be held in Madrid, Spain on 4 and 5 March. There is no entry fee and the deadline for entries is 14 February.
Bite Back calendars on sale
UK Environmental charity Bite Back are offering their remaining 2017 calendars at half price. They feature images by Alex Mustard, Amanda Cotton, Amos Nachoum, Anna Burn, Brian Skerry, Christian Vizl, David Doubilet, Ellen Cuylaerts, Jane Morgan, Jason Isley, Pash Baker, Steve Jones and Tanya Houppermans.
2016 Ocean Art Winners announced
Call for entries: Oasis Photo Contest 2017
The 2017 Oasis Photo Contest is calling for entries. Offering cash prizes, there is a specific category for underwater photography. The deadline for entries is 28 February 2017.
X-Ray Magazine 77 available to download
DxOMARK awards highest score to RED Helium sensor
DxOMARK has been benchmark testing a prototype of the new ED Helium 8K sensor and awarded their highest score ever. The testing gave the new sensor a score of 108, higher then the previous top score of 101 achieved by the RED Epic Dragon. For comparison, the Sony a7rII achieves 98 and the Nikon D810, 97.
Book Review: Secrets of the Seas
Wetpixel reviews Callum Roberts’ and Alex Mustard’s book “Secrets of the Seas: A Journey into the Heart of the Ocean”. This large format, visually impressive book features some amazing imagery, but also weaves a tale about the oceans’ history, present conditions and some thoughts about their possible future.
- Fuji’s instant film camera is outpacing its digital cameras (via )
- Panasonic upgrades GH4 firmware to v.2.5 (via )
- Gray whale frolicking in surf at Redondo Beach pier (via )
- IUCN Ocean Photographer of the Year contest now open (via )
- Flickr is up for sale (via )
- 500px cuts royalty rate from 70% to 30% for non-exclusive photos (via )
- The rise and fall of Flickr (via )
- The internet votes to name arctic research ship Boaty McBoatface (via )
- Nikon updates ViewNX and Capture NX-D to 1.016.010 (via )
- NG photo of the day Small Fry (via )