Racing Extinction goes to air on 2 December
Louie Psihoyos’s and Wetpixel Moderator Shawn Heinrichs’s latest film “Racing Extinction” will be aired on Discovery on 2 December at 9PM PT in more than 220 countries. Psihoyos describes the film as: “The biggest story in the world and claims the reasons for what is happening are multi-faceted; carbon emissions, climate change, overfishing, illegal wildlife trade, habitat destruction and overconsumption are the overwhelming problems.”
Panasonic releases “Post-Focus” firmware
Panasonic has released a firmware update that will allow GX8, G7 and FZ300 users to change the focus point post capture. Essentially, once selected, post focus shoots video at 4K with a variety of focus points that can be selected and images with different focus points saved.
Borneo From Below: Cuttlefish
New paper tracks humpback movements
A new study, published in the Royal Society Open Science journal has used satellite tracking tags to study the novel migratory patterns of endangered South Pacific humpback whales (Megaptera novaeangliae). Among the unexpected findings is the fact that the whales spend time “hanging out” around seamounts during their migrations. (Image from Shutterstock)
New Anglerfish discovered in wake of Deepwater Horizon
A new species of the infamous anglerfish has been described. Three specimens were collected in the wake of the Deepwater Horizon spill at a depth between 2,625 and 4,265 feet below the surface.
Video: Jellyfish Safe House by Earth Touch
Free diving in Raja Ampat
Due to medical circumstances, Wetpixel member Fred Bavendam has had to leave the Kri Eco Resort in Raja Ampat early. He has kindly offered his remaining time at the resort to any member of the Wetpixel community that is able to take advantage of it for free. You will need to get yourself to Sorong and the stay is from now through to 9 December. For more details, please see Fred’s post in the Wetpixel forum.
Recsea releases housing for Canon EOS 7D Mark II
Recsea are shipping their housing for the Canon EOS 7D Mark II SLR. Constructed from aluminum, it has a rear control dial with a push button function. Recsea support a wide range of lenses and there are a range of accessories available, including the new Recsea Airlock Vacuum System RAV-S2.
- Nikon updates Capture NX-D (via )
- Sports Illustrated has laid off all staff photographers (via )
- Your favorite underwater Instagram photos into temporary tattoos (via )
- Shutterstock acquires Rex features for $33M (via )
- When icebergs flip, they are a brilliant blue color (via )
- Prehistoric marine reptile fossil discovered in Scotland (via )
- Issue 82 of Underwater Photography magazine is available to… (via )
- Nikon confirms banding issue with D750 (via )
- Dissecting the Lightroom and Photoshop workflow. (via )
- Adobe offers tutorials on PS and LR workflows (via )