Imminent update for Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Canon USA announced in October 2012 that they were planning a firmware upgrade for the EOS 5D Mark III at the end of April. The update will give the option of outputting uncompressed video at YCbCr 4:2:2, 8 bit to an external recording device via the camera’s HDMI port. In addition, it will also expand AF via the central cross-type focus points with a maximum aperture of a lens and extender combination to f8.
ADEX 2013 show report
This year’s Asian Dive Expo was held from 19 to 22 April at the Sands Convention Center, Singapore. Wetpixel was on hand to cover the latest in underwater imaging, and the show did not disappoint. There were quite a lot of new housings with a focus on the big cameras. The Arri Alexa, Red Epic/Scarlet, Sony F55 all had housings, even the Leica S3 had a housing. It was a rather exciting show for videographers. Read on to see exclusive pictures of the latest housings.
Fantasea announces the FG15 housing
Fantasea has announced the release of their FG15 housing for the Canon Powershot G15 compact camera. This is designed to have better ergonomics and features than that of the Canon WP-DC48 housing and to this end has fiber optic ports, dedicated control for video functions and compatibility with a range of accessories.
Panasonic announces the G6 mirrorless camera
Panasonic has released the DMC-G6 mirrorless camera. It features a 16.05-megapixel Digital Live MOS with a new Venus image processing engine that, the manufacturer claims, provides a reduction in noise. It will record video at 1920 x 1080, 60p/50p and utilises a high-speed contrast AF system.
Shawn Heinrichs captures epic battle between orcas and sperm whales
Call for entries: University of Miami RSMAS underwater photo contest
The University of Miami’s Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science is accepting submissions for their Annual Underwater Photography Contest, now through 17 May. Winners of the five categories, Fish or Marine Animal Portrait, Macro, Wide Angle, UM Student, and Best Overall, will be displayed in a traveling exhibit throughout southern Florida.
The REEL Story: Seafood traceability program in Washington D.C.
Inspired by a sketch from the TV series Portlandia, Black Restaurant Group and Congressional Seafood Co. in Washington D.C. have launched a QR coded seafood traceability program in all of their restaurants and plan to expand to more locations in the near future.
Happy Earth Day
Wishing the Wetpixel community a happy Earth Day! Whatever you are doing today, we hope that some part of it is for the good of the earth.
- Possibly the strangest camera review ever! The Fuji x100 walks… (via )
- CNN: Overfished and under-protected; oceans on the brink of… (via )
- DeepX and 3Deep housings nominated for best innovations in film… (via )
- Nikon posts care instruction for Nikon 1 underwater housings (via )
- Fstoppers posts about the art of Lightroom catalog management (via )
- Adobe to stop shipping boxed software from 30 April 2013,… (via )
- Netflix expects 4K streaming within two years (via )
- Photographer lists his subject as a defendant in copyright suit (via )
- Fstoppers reviews the Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4 lens (via )
- First images and specs of Canon EOS Kiss X7 SLR (via )