New World releases iBook version of Caribbean Reef Fish ID
New World Publications has released their Reef Fish ID - Florida, Caribbean, Bahamas book as an iBook, specifically designed for use with an iPad. It has enhanced navigation and functionality, including touch functions, as well as a revised layout which provides each species with its own pages.
SeaWorld announces end of orca captive breeding program
SeaWorld CEO, Joel Manby has announced today that the company will end its controversial orca breeding program. Given that SeaWorld does not catch wild orcas for use in its shows, this means that when the current animals in their tanks die they will not be replaced and the shows will cease. (Image by Tinseltown / Shutterstock.com).
Behind the Shot of the Underwater Photographer of the Year 2016 winner
Davide Lopresti just recently won the Underwater Photographer of the Year award for 2016. His enchanting photograph, Gold, of a yellow seahorse blurred against a blue background in the Gulf of Trieste, Italy took home the grand prize.
Nature Conservancy and Leonardo DiCaprio Foundation create MPA in Seychelles
The Nature Conservancy, in conjunction with the Leonardo DiCaprio Foundation, have created the second largest marine protected area in the West Indian Ocean. The move increases the protections in the waters surrounding the Seychelles from one percent to more than thirty percent. Image from Shutterstock.
Scientists discover how sea sapphires make themselves invisible
Sea sapphires could just be the coolest copepods you’ve ever seen (not seen) in the ocean. These creatures flash brilliant colors and then quickly move to what appears to be an invisible state. Scientists have been working to solve the trick for years.
Image: Barrel sponge with hunting fish by James Emery
Review: Fantasea FRX100 IV by Becky Kagan Schott
Video: Dive into an ocean photographer’s world by Thomas P. Peschak
- Twenty20 is the world’s largest crowdsourced stock photo… (via )
- A tour of the Atlantis underwater suite Dubai (via )
- New archaeological discovery off Britain to change history (via )
- Sea levels rose 4 inches along the northeast in 2 years (via )
- Olympus releases firmware v3.0 for OM-D E-M1 (via )
- Graveyard of giant lemurs discovered in Madagascar (via )
- Video: Octopus captures a crab, out of the water (via )
- Google’s Eric Schmidt gives $10M to Monterey Bay Aquarium (via )
- NG photo of the day Manatees by Ryan Nelson (via )
- Limpet teeth are nature’s strongest material (via )