Nikon unveils the D610
Nikon has announced its D610 FX SLR camera. Widely rumoured to be a solution for the sensor oil spotting problem that occurred with the D600, there are actually only three new features on it. A new shutter mechanism allows for 6fps continuous shooting and a quiet continuous mode at 3fps. It also features an improved white balance system.
Report suggests oceans are entering a phase of extinction
New App: Reef Fishes of the East Indies
The three-volume textbook cataloging every known fish species in the coral triangle will be available as three interlinking Pad (imminent) or Kindle Fire (from 10 October) Apps. The Apps load onto the device, meaning that they can be used in areas where there is limited internet connectivity, and will be updated as new discoveries are made.
Giant Squid washes ashore in Cantabria, Spain
An elusive Giant Squid washed ashore in Cantabria, Spain on La Arena Beach on 1 October. The Architeuthis dux is the largest of all invertebrates and this one was a full 30 feet long.
Wetpixel Komodo 2014: Last few spaces available
The 2014 Wetpixel Komodo Expedition is almost sold out! The trip will take in some of the least dived sites in the southern Komodo National Park, which offer a fantastic mix of healthy coral reefs, lots of fish and interesting macro life. In February and March, the waters in the south are clear and warm, offering great conditions for productive underwater photography.
Ikelite releases torch mounting options
Ikelite has released a series of mounting kits for their Gamma LED lights. These allow them to be attached to the cold shoes on housings, or to be attached to the handles on Ikelite camera trays via 1” ball or locline mountings.
Untamed Americas receives Emmy Award
The National Geographic series, Untamed Americas, received an Emmy Award for “Outstanding Cinematography” last night. Hearty congratulations to underwater filmmaker and Wetpixel Moderator Shawn Heinrichs as well as Wetpixel contributors Andy Brandy Casagrande (ABC) and Cristian Dimitrius who were all a part of the team of talented individuals that were involved in its creation.
Great White Sharks feed on whale carcass: Video
- Olympus releases firmware updates for OMD and PEN cameras (via )
- Brunei institutes Asia’s first nationwide shark fin ban (via )
- Chagos marine park in Indian Ocean ruled lawful (via BBC)
- Bioluminescent sand Avatar in real life (via )
- Apple announces new Mac Pros (via )
- Issue 11 of Anima Mundi is now available to download (via )
- Coral reefs devastated by climate change (via )
- Scientific American: The effects of climate change on coral reefs (via )
- Apple updates Aperture to version 3.4.5 (via )
- Great Barrier Reef Youtube live event now! (via )