Annual imaging party at DEMA 2015
Planning on attending DEMA in Orlando this year? If so, do not miss the Wetpixel/DivePhotoGuide annual imaging party. This year, it will be held from 8PM on Wednesday 4 November, on the poolside at the Rosen Center. Typically, the party attracts a huge crowd, encompassing a virtual who’s who of underwater image makers. If you sadly can’t be there, remember that whatever happens at DEMA….will be reported on Wetpixel!
Aquatica announces housing for the Sony a7R II
Aquatica has announced their housing for the Sony a7R II camera. It features a rear rotary dial wheel that controls the rear rotary dial control and extenders that give ergonomic access to the SET and C1 buttons. It also offers strobe triggering via either optical (with a supplied optical converter), or two Nikonos or Ikelite bulkheads. It is compatible with the full range of Aquatica ports.
New simulator apps for RED cameras
Kris Prygrocki has released two new apps to help people get to grips with the menus and settings on RED Digital Cinema cameras. Donna offers a simulation of all camera setting and menus (including Weapon and to be upgraded to include Raven). Dragon Scales catalogs the maximum frame rates and resolutions for each of RED’s cameras.
New guide to Grand Cayman launched
Author and photographer Steve Rosenberg, in conjunction with Greg Bassett, is releasing a new guide to travel and diving in Grand Cayman. The eBook features information on 75 dive sites as well as general information on vacationing on the island, with over 350 images.
Oasis Photo Contest calls for entries
Borneo from Below: Turtle Rodeo
The first documented manta ray nursery in southeast asia
Through a manta ray tagging program, scientists have recently confirmed the location of a manta ray nursery in southeast asia’s Wayag Lagoon of Raja Ampat. Conservation International, the Indonesian Ministry of Marine Affairs and Fisheries, the Indonesian Institute of Sciences, S.E.A. Aquarium, and Manta Trust have been fitting manta rays in southeast asia with satellite tags since 2014. They are just now learning the secrets of the manta rays of this area.
Earth Touch: Orca launches harbor seal
- New lithium batteries have lifespan of over 20 years (via )
- Humboldt squid attack Greenpeace submarine (via )
- Daniel Botelho captures splits shots of planes and snorkelers (via )
- Oceana finds rich biodiversity around Canary Islands (via )
- Panasonic patents optical viewfinder for mirrorless cameras that… (via )
- The Maldives trash island pollution problem (via )
- Wetpixel review of Nikon 810 on Nikon Rumors (via )
- NG photo of the day by Shane Gross (via )
- Camera RAW 8.7 Release Candidate available on Adobe Labs (via )
- Underwater landslide and earthquake triggered 2011 tsunami (via )