Image: Mako Shark by Amanda Cotton
Image: Great White Shark by Andy Thirlwell.
Results: Durban Undersea Club Shootout
The Durban Undersea Club hosted its annual Still and Video Shootout this year, with the shooting period being between 1 December 2014 through to 3 May 2015. Geographically, the images had to be taken between Mozambique and the Cape. Geo Cloete took first place in the stills contest. Hearty congratulations to all the winers, and it is great to see so many of Wetpixel’s South African contingent to be amongst the placings!
Paper tracks tiger shark migration patterns
The journal Scientific Reports has published a paper that documents tiger shark’s (Galeocerdo cuvier) movements over na extended period. Individual animals were shown to make annual, repeated journeys of over 7,500 km in the northwest Atlantic, from Caribbean coral reefs to “high latitude ocean areas” as far north as Connecticut.
Video: Cave diving in Sweden
Palau sinks poacher’s vessels
Yahoo News reports that the Republic of Palau has burnt 4 boats that were being used by Vietnamese fisherman to illegally fish in Palau’s waters. They were among the 15 that have been impounded since last year and were loaded with sharks and shark fins, lobsters, sea cucumbers and reef fish.
Story behind images of humpback whales fighting underwater
Image: Seahorse by Pasquale Vassallo
Pasquale Vassallo shared his amazing image of a short snouted seahorse (Hippocampus hippocampus) on the Wetpixel Facebook Group Pasquale captured the image during a night dive in the Mediterranean Sea, in a canal linking the sea of the Gulf of Naples and the lagoon Maremorto - Bacoli at a depth of 2 meters.
- Issue 61 of X-Ray magazine available to download (via )
- Fish are smart and feel pain (via )
- Milking a venomous stonefish (via )
- July issue of DIVE available to download (via )
- GoPro successfully goes public, valued at over $3B (via )
- Apple officially ceases development of Aperture (via )
- Apple updates Final Cut Pro X to 10.1.2 (via )
- A new underground aquarium in Mexico City (via )
- NG photo of the day by David Doubilet (via )
- Bycatch in US is costly financially as well as environmentally (via )