Underwater panoramic camera used to document reefs
National aquarium moves from DC to Baltimore
The government is not the only thing in D.C. to shutdown this week. The National Aquarium is closing it’s doors and becoming a basement walkway, displacing approximately 2,500 aquatic residents.
Nikon unveils the D610
Nikon has announced its D610 FX SLR camera. Widely rumoured to be a solution for the sensor oil spotting problem that occurred with the D600, there are actually only three new features on it. A new shutter mechanism allows for 6fps continuous shooting and a quiet continuous mode at 3fps. It also features an improved white balance system.
Report suggests oceans are entering a phase of extinction
New App: Reef Fishes of the East Indies
The three-volume textbook cataloging every known fish species in the coral triangle will be available as three interlinking Pad (imminent) or Kindle Fire (from 10 October) Apps. The Apps load onto the device, meaning that they can be used in areas where there is limited internet connectivity, and will be updated as new discoveries are made.
Giant Squid washes ashore in Cantabria, Spain
An elusive Giant Squid washed ashore in Cantabria, Spain on La Arena Beach on 1 October. The Architeuthis dux is the largest of all invertebrates and this one was a full 30 feet long.
Wetpixel Komodo 2014: Last few spaces available
The 2014 Wetpixel Komodo Expedition is almost sold out! The trip will take in some of the least dived sites in the southern Komodo National Park, which offer a fantastic mix of healthy coral reefs, lots of fish and interesting macro life. In February and March, the waters in the south are clear and warm, offering great conditions for productive underwater photography.
Ikelite releases torch mounting options
Ikelite has released a series of mounting kits for their Gamma LED lights. These allow them to be attached to the cold shoes on housings, or to be attached to the handles on Ikelite camera trays via 1” ball or locline mountings.
- Whale deaths to be minimized as shipping lanes moved (via )
- DIVE magazine’s June issue is available to download (via )
- Issue 27 of African Diver is now available to download (via African Diver)
- EU plans to reform fishing policies to end exploitation (via )
- Think Tank launches the “About a Photography” video… (via )
- Issue 28 of the The Underwater Journal available to download (via )
- Basking sharks avoiding Scotland’s cooler waters (via )
- BBC revisits Final Cut Pro X (via )
- Canon produces its 90 millionth EF lens (via )
- Canon offers rebates on the EOS 5D, 6D and 7D SLRs (via )