U.S.A. announces expanded marine sanctuary
Report: MIMA underwater photography contest
Nick Robertson-Brown of Frogfish Photography has kindly written a report of the MIMA 2014 underwater photography competition held in the Medes Islands, Spain. The contest is in a splash in format, although it also hosts simultaneous online video and still contests, and this year attracted 26 teams from 7 countries.
Plankton research expedition seeks funding
The Aquatilis research expedition is setting out to study zooplankton in the Atlantic, Pacific and Indian oceans. Zooplankton forms the basis of the food chain and is hence crucial to the oceans’ health. The expedition intends to provide updates from the field via the web and social media. They are currently seeking funding via Indiegogo.
Aditech releases the Mangrove VC-3L6 video light
Aditech has announced the release of the Mangrove VC-3L6 video light. It features a 6750 lumen output at a color temperature of 5000°K. Powered by interchangeable Li Ion batteries, the light will run for 55 minutes at full power.
Tigress Shark: Shawn Heinrichs and Hannah Fraser’s latest collaboration
Shawn Heinrichs and Hannah Fraser have teamed up again for their latest underwater environmental performance and protest piece, Tigress Shark. The video and images are a protest against the Australian shark cull and the global slaughter of sharks.
Creative Cow profiles filmmaker Jonathan Bird
Image: Under ice panoramic
Gates releases details of new lights
- Robots shred jellies off Korea (via )
- Vancouver aquarium releases seal pups back into the wild (via )
- Monk seal bites triathletes in Hawaii (via )
- Shutdown threatens oceanographic research (via )
- Nikon D610 officially announced (via )
- Montserrat: An island abandoned and reclaimed by nature (via )
- Sponges allow corals to thrive in marine deserts (via BBC)
- New free Lightroom Quick Start guide available to download (via )
- Sixty new species discovered in Suriname (via )
- National Geographic photography issue (via )