Happy Lunar New Year
Wetpixel would like to wish all those that are celebrating it a very happy Lunar New Year. We hope that the year of the rooster brings good health, wealth prosperity and amazing diving in beautiful places! May your celebration be spectacular too.
A tour of Jason deCaires Taylor’s Canary Island museum
Underwater sculptor, Jason deCaires Taylor, gives some insight into his underwater museum, Museo Atlantico, that was placed off the island of Lanzarote in the Canary Islands one year ago. The sculptor garden of approximately 200 human forms is placed 46-feet underwater. The pieces represent the European migrant crisis among other current subjects.
Nauticam ships housing for Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II
Nauticam are shipping their housing for the Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II. It has integrated handle and a shutter release lever that is located on the housing body. It also features a thumb lever for AF and relocated rear buttons to allow for better control.
CineBags Underwater releases port cases
70 percent of Japan’s largest coral reef has died
Japan’s largest coral reef is dying due to rising sea temperatures. Over 90 percent of corals on Japan’s Sekiseishoko reef in the Ryukyu Islands, near Okinawa, have some bleaching and 70 percent of the corals have died overall. The reef was surveyed in November and December by Japan’s Environment ministry. The bleaching is the worst in the recorded history of the reef and is due to rising sea temperatures.
Exploring the idea of consciousness in octopus
Peter Godfrey-Smith has published a book titled, “The Octopus, the Sea, and the Deep Origins of Consciousness”. It explores one of the most curious creatures of the underwater world and the idea of their consciousness. Carl Safina, ocean conservationist, reviews the book for the New York Times and in doing so composes a wonderful story that is in and of itself worth reading.
The Shootout returns: Lembeh vs Gulen round 2
Subal announces housing for GoPro HERO 5
Subal has announced a new housing for the GoPro HERO 5. Constructed of aluminum, it numerous mounting options and a depth rating of 300m. It can be equipped with an adaptor that allows it to be used with Subal dome ports.
- Issue 20 of Anima Mundi magazine is now available (via )
- Apple updates Pro Video formats to 2.0.2. (via )
- Motion and Compressor update to 5.2.2. and 4.2.1 (via )
- Final Cut Pro updates to 10.2.2. (via )
- New sculptures on Thames by Jason deCaires Taylor (via )
- Chiara Vigo, the last woman to make sea silk (via )
- Polaroid Snap: 10 megapixel instant digital camera (via )
- Preview 3 images from Wildlife Photographer of the Year 2015 (via )
- $1k fine for flying drones too close to Orcas (via )
- iPhone 6s camera to shoot 12MP photos and 4k video (via )