Wetpixel.com/DivePhotoGuide Photo Contest
We’re just one month away from the deadline for Wetpixel.com and DivePhotoGuide.com’s 2006 International Photo Competition! There are dozens of amazing prizes lined up, including:
- trips to Papua New Guinea, Indonesia, the Socorros, Galapagos, Bora Bora, Solomon Islands, Palau, and the Bahamas
- dive and photo and dive gear from Aquatica, Fantasea, Ikelite, Epoque, Nocturnal Lights, MCD, Ultralight, Backscatter, and Underwater Photo-Tech
- dive-related media from ScubaCore, Wyland, Takako Uno and Stephen Wong, Scott Tuason, Fathoms Magazine, Ocean Realm Journal, Dive Chronicles, and TheUnderwaterPhotographer.com
Winners will be announced on stage at the 2006 Our World-Underwater festival in Chicago, Illinois (February 24-26, 2006). February 3rd is a hard deadline, so get your entries submitted!
UwP Magazine #28
UwP Magazine issue 28 is now available for download. It includes an article by our very own Dr. Alex Mustard, coverage of Sea Shepherd’s anti-whaling campaign in Antarctica, numerous equipment reviews, and more. UwP is absolutely free, and is worth every minute of its download time.
HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Happy New Year, photographers! I can’t thank everyone enough for being part of such a fantastic, global community. Here’s to yet another year of learning through comraderie!
Undersea Explorer tags tiger shark
On Saturday 10th December, researchers onboard Undersea Explorer tagged a 2.8m male Tiger Shark (“Adam”) near Raine Island in Far North Queensland. The shark was the seventh Tiger shark tagged during the project, which is a collaboration between Digital Dimensions, CSIRO, and Undersea Explorer. And—very exciting: for all of us out here on the web, Adam’s movements can be tracked online.
Vote for the new Picture of the Week
Our new, interactive Picture of the Week area is going strong! Congratulations to Wetpixel staff member Luiz Rocha for winning the staff POTW competition, which we used as a test of the new system. Our first general POTW competition has just entered its voting phase, and a new POTW has been kicked off with the theme, “Sharks and Rays”.
New POTW competitions will begin every Sunday night at midnight. Prizes are being organized, and will be retroactively awarded starting from POTW #110.
Nikon D200 spotted in forums
Hands-on news about the Nikon D200 has started to appear in the forums, along with speculation about how it might be taken underwater. The D200 will surely be a welcome—and very much needed—addition to Nikon’s line of digital SLRs commonly used underwater.
Modifying the Hotshoe for the Subal D2x
Wetpixel moderator Luiz Rocha has put together an article explaining how to modify the Subal D2x hotshoe in order to eliminate erratic camera behavior. According to Luiz: “The problem: The D2x in Subal housings would erratically not fire the strobes or not save random images to the memory card. This is true for Subtronics and Sea&Sea strobes, but appears to not happen with Ikelite strobes.” The solution is removal of one of the hot-shoe pins - follow the link to find out how.
Wetpixel revamps Picture of the Week contest
Wetpixel is proud to announce the return to an interactive Picture of the Week contest, with public, member submissions and voting. As before, members may enter up to 2 images per week, and each weekly contest will enter a voting period for a week before the results are tallied and presented. It’s the perfect opportunity to enter some of your hard-earned images into a friendly, public contest.
During testing of the system last week, your tireless staff uploaded some beautiful images for you to vote on. There is already a new POTW contest accepting entries, so ... go show off! The contest can be found at http://wetpixel.com/competition/
And don’t forget about our official, international photo contest, which has over $25,000 in prizes!
- Photo related features of the Apple Watch (via )
- Nikon D810 cameras with thermal fix marked with blue dot on box (via )
- Underwater wedding portraits are booming in Shanghai (via )
- New underwater mushroom shaped organisms discovered (via )
- Anima Mundi issue 16 is available to download (via )
- Enormous mantis shrimp caught in Florida (via )
- Canon trails firmware update for C300/C500 for release in… (via )
- Seacam announces D810 housing-details to follow (via )
- Australia to scrap plan for dumping near Great Barrier Reef (via )
- British Wildlife Photography Awards 2014 announced (via )