Monterey Shootout 2004 Results
The Monterey Shootout 2004 results have been posted. Very impressive shots, in both film and digital categories.
Subtronic announces mini EOS 300D ETTL strobe
Ikelite does Canon eTTL
Ikelite has recently posted a note on their website about the October availability of a eTTL to TTL bridge, which will allow Ikelite DS-50 and DS-125 SubStrobes to do TTL with the Canon EOS 300D Digital Rebel. Existing housings will have a retrofit option available starting in December. [discuss this in the forums]
Hey, guys. There may be some problem accessing Wetpixel for the next 24-48 hours or so. I’ve tracked down the problem that have been causing problems for some users and have applied a fix. Thanks for your patience!
RCN Cable Modem Problem
Being a RCN cable modem customer myself, I’ve noticed that I can’t see anything from www.wetpixel.com, while wetpixel.com without the “www” part works just fine. In particular, this breaks the contest galleries because they always use the “www” version of Wetpixel! I’m working with RCN technical service to get this resolved, but they are as confused as I am about the issue. Are there any of you out there who are RCN cable modem users who can access Wetpixel via the “www” link?
Also, I’ve been getting e-mails about the last photo contest. Have patience, please! It takes time to get the images judged because all of our judges and admins are on the road a lot. I apologize for the delays!
And finally, let’s thank James and Herb, who have been doing an excellent job of keeping the community running while various other admins (ahem) have been off diving.
Sea & Sea 5000G 5.1 Megapixel UW Camera
Sea & Sea has just sent us the specifications for the DX-5000G, a new 5.1 megapixel underwater digital camera and housing combo. Reported features include:
- 1/1.8-inch primary-color CCD with effective image quality of 5.13 mega pixels
- 28 - 85 mm optical 3x zoom from wide-angle to telephoto
- World’s fastest shutter release time lag of 0.12 second
- Macro photography shooting range as close as 1 cm / 1/3 inch
- Aperture priority and manual exposure modes
- AF target selection
- Six scene modes to match different shooting conditions
- Can be powered by a high capacity lithium-ion rechargeable battery, AA batteries, or an AC adaptor
- Compatible with PictBrige to directly connect to a printer to print images
No information is available yet on Sea & Sea’s USA site, but you can continue reading here for more details…
New Digital Life for an Old Strobe
For the film shooters migrating to digital, here’s an option that may help reduce your initial outlay. Subaquatic Camera will retrofit the Nikon SB-105 with an optical fiber and add the housing mounts for it. The cost is around $130 for the operation including all parts and labor.
Aquatica Kodak ProSLRn Prototype
Aquatica has sent us some photos of their prototype housing for the full frame Kodak ProSLRn camera. The housing is undergoing “sea trials” now and we hope to have some sample underwater photos and feedback shortly. Click the link to see the photos of the prototype housing..
- 11 More pilot whales found dead in Florida Keys (via )
- Local Hawaiians killing Monk Seals (via )
- Review of the Nikon AW1 (via )
- December edition of DIVEMAG now available to download (via )
- Japanese super sub discovered off Hawaii (via )
- December issue of DIVE magazine available to download (via )
- Seahorse shape aids stealth hunting techniques (via BBC)
- Protecting underwater real estate for fish (via )
- NOAA and state shark fin bans (via )
- New marine conservation zones for UK (via BBC)