Call for entries: World Shootout 2014
The World Shootout 2014 is calling for entries. The contest has numerous categories including: Dive Destination - 5 Best Images, Wide Angle, Macro & Super-Macro, Amateurs Sharks, Wrecks of the World and Children of World ShootOut. The requirements for entry are that the image(s) must have been taken between 1 January and 31 July 2014.
Sports Illustrated underwater portraits of athletes
Sports Illustrated has compiled a series of underwater athlete portraits that have graced the pages of the magazine. The images include everything from swimmers to baseball players, as well as one free diving portrait.
2014 DEEP Indonesia Photo Competition Winners Announced
DPG and Wetpixel are proud to announce the winners of the 2014 DEEP Indonesia International Underwater Photography Competition. The competition is part of a unique series of underwater imaging events and has become one of the biggest and most prestigious in the world. This year the competition received thousands of entries from underwater photographers in over 15 countries. Congratulations to Bert Willaert, who won Best of Show for his 1st place image from the Compact Camera category.
Seacam announces their academy
ICJ rules in favour of whales
The BBC reports that the International Court of Justice (ICJ) has ruled that Japan’s annual Southern Ocean whale hunt is primarily a commercial undertaking, rather than a scientific one. In addition, the ICJ has ordered a temporary halt to the whaling program. (Image credit to wdeon / Shutterstock.com)
Behind the Shot: Seek by Nina Baxa
Nina Baxa has shared a stunning shot of a Spotted Eagle Ray on Wetpixel’s Facebook page. The image was very popular on Facebook. Here she shares how she got the shot.
Video: Slow Life by Daniel Stoupin
Paper shows that sea snakes dehydrate at sea
- Kodak bankruptcy plan approved (via )
- Real shark trivia is better than Shark Week (via )
- Stolen photo wins photo contest (via )
- First underwater video of apes swimming (via )
- Large numbers of dead dolphins on US East coast is a cause for… (via )
- Apple offers free repairs and upgrades to some 2011 iMacs (via )
- High-tech underwater imaging by the Scripps Institute (via )
- New hammerhead shark species discovered (via )
- Summer issue of Alert Diver now available (via )
- First shark fin citation given to Chicago restaurant (via )