Sea Shepherd announces Sea Shepherd Dive
Beneath the Sea announces film festival line up
The Beneath the Sea International Film Festival has released the list of speakers for its fortieth event. It will be held on Saturday, 2 April at 8:30 p.m. in the La Quinta Hotel Secaucus, New Jersey. The host for the evening will be Bill Evans. Jonathan Bird, Leandro Blanco, Ernie Brooks, Andy Brandy Casagrande, David Doubilet and Jen Hayes, Jack and Sue Drafahl, Howard and Michele Hall and Richie Kohler will all present their films during the festival.
Book: Shark Doc, Shark Lab
A new book telling the life story of Samuel “Doc” Gruber of Bimini Biological Field Station (“Shark Lab”) and raiding funds for said institution has been released. The book details what he has learned about sharks in his decades studying them and thoughts from many of the scientists who have worked with him at Bimini.
Wetpixel Community Discount: Vivid-Pix-Prints
Underwater print service, Vivid-Pix-Prints are offering Wetpixel community members a special promo code that gives a 10% discount on their next print order. Vivid-Pix offer a full range of services including image printing onto canvas, metal and acrylic. The company specializes in printing images captured underwater.
Results: Beneath the Sea 2016
The Beneath the Sea imaging contest has announced their winners for 2016. Edwar Herreño was awarded the David Doubilet Award (Best in Show) for his image “Turtle Love” and Nicholas Dean the Stan Waterman prize for his film: “What Would Wallace Think”. n the creative category, Massimo Giorgetta’s images “Mirror in a Tunnel” received the Jim Church Award.
Ice diving Op-Doc in New York Times
The New York Times has featured a short film on ice diving by Paulina Skibinska as part of their Op Docs series. The thirteen minute film gives the audience the ability “to enter into the story and descend into the depths with the diver, to the point where the world above the water disappears.”
UPY 2016 results announced
The Underwater Photographer of the Year (UPY)contest has released the results of its 2016 contest. Overall winner was Davide Lopresti with his image of a spiny seahorse. Dan Bolt took the prize for the best image from the UK, Pier Mane the best upcoming photographer and Mary Engels Dunmore the most promising UK photographer. Hearty congratulations to all those in the placings.
Alien Skin updates Exposure X
- Adobe updates Lightroom to 5.7.1 (via )
- Adobe releases Camera RAW version 8.7.1 (via )
- The story of an underwater ballroom, a swindler and death by… (via )
- Biodegradable fishing nets with tracking devices to cut down on… (via )
- Sony’s underwater store is 12 feet deep (via )
- The Olympus E-M5 II will use same sensor as predecessor (via )
- Freediver catches 70 pound lobster, names him Albert Girther,… (via )
- Documentary follows the film restoration of JAWS (via )
- High ISO Comparison: Nikon D750 Vs. D810 Vs. 7D Mark II Vs. 5D… (via )
- A day in the life of underwater photographers Tina Terras and… (via )