Cave diving in Russia
Aquapazza announces housing for Sigma Merrill cameras
Aquapazza has announced their APSG-DPM housing for the Sigma Merrill DP system compact cameras. The housing has a modular lens port system to allow it to be used with all three models of the Merrill DP cameras. It also features a rail for the attachment of a sun shield for the LCD screen and a fiber optic port for strobe triggering.
Image: Rhino shrimp by Suria Nataadmadja
Suria Nataadmadja shared this fantastic shot of a Rhino Shrimp. Here he tells us how he got the shot while diving in Anilao, Philippines.
Call for entries: Our World Underwater 2014
The 2014 Our World Underwater contest is now live and calling for entries. Hosted by Wetpixel and DivePhotoGuide, there are over $85,000 worth of prizes, including $1,000 in cash. The deadline is quite tight, all entries must be received by 2 February, so please don’t delay.
Final call: Wetpixel Komodo Expedition
Wetpixel has some late availability for the Wetpixel South Komodo Expedition. The trip, aboard the luxury liveaboard The Seven Seas will take in amazing, clear, warm 84°F degree water and some of the healthiest reefs you have ever seen, and reefs inundated with crinoids and soft corals. (Photo by Linda Johnston)
New Zealand sets out to ban finning
X-Ray magazine has posted an article about the New Zealand government implementing a timetable to ban shark finning. The ban will be phased in, with the first species being protected from October 2014, and all 113 species that exist in New Zealand waters being included in the ban by 2016. (Image from Shutterstock)
Video: Ocean Stories trailer
Howard and Michelle Hall have been supplying footage and on-camera support for a new PBS series that is currently in production. The idea is that the series will feature 100 ocean related stories from 100 people from diverse walks of life.
Aquatica unveils the AE-M1 housing
Aquatica has released details of their housing for the Olympus OM-D E-M1 mirrorless camera. The AE-M1 will ship with a vacuum leak detection system and Aquatica will provide port support all popular underwater lenses for the camera. It can also be fitted with Aquatica’s Aquaview viewfinders.
- California shark fin ban takes effect this week (via )
- 200 year old fish caught off Alaska (via )
- Latest videos from the ICJ trial of Japanese commercial whaling (via )
- July/August issue (#73) of UWP Magazine is available now (via )
- Carl Zeiss rebrands as just ZEISS (via )
- DIVE magazine’s July issue is out now (via )
- Issue 29 of the Underwater Journal is now available to download (via )
- Lampreys get “hot” for each other (via BBC)
- Air New Zealand’s full ban on shark fin cargo (via )
- National Geographic Taveler Photo Contest still open (via )