Counting down: Our World Underwater 2016
Wetpixel and Dive Photo Guide’s Our World Underwater photo contest is approaching its final deadline for entries. The contest is one of the biggest and most respected underwater imaging competitions in the world, and the winners will share in over $10,000 worth of prizes. If you haven’t yet submitted your entries, now is the time to do so! The deadline for entries is 6 February.
Video: Canon EOS 1D X Mark II in the wild
Hands on: Nikon D5 and D500 cameras
Nikon Professional Services UK held their first launch event for the new D5 and D500 SLR cameras in Manchester, UK yesterday. Wetpixel was on hand to take some pictures of the new cameras and to report on the event.
Call for entries: BigPicture 2016
The BigPicture Natural World Photography Contest is calling for entries. There are numerous categories, including one for “Aquatic Life” and a portfolio contest on Coral Reefs. Entries are open now, and close on 31 March. There is a a discounted entry fee available until 14 February.
Report: BOOT Show 2016
The BOOT show is the world’s largest watersports show. Among the 14 giant halls that the show occupies at Messe Dusseldorf, Germany, is hall 3, which plays host to the scuba diving industry. Further tucked into this space are exhibitors showing underwater imaging gear. Check out Wetpixel’s live reports from the event.
Canon announces EOS 1D X Mark II
Behind the Shot: Konrad Malek
Paul Allen’s mega yacht destroys large percentage of protected reef in Cayman Islands
The 300-foot mega yacht of Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen, MV Tatoosh, reportedly dragged its anchor and destroyed 80 percent of a protected reef in the Cayman Islands. The reef, known as the West Bay Replenishment Zone, has been protected for 30 years.
- Canon photographer Tyler Stableford on photographing whale sharks (via )
- Wetpixel black and white article on Outdoor Photographer (via )
- Underwater photography in space (via )
- Kodak’s 360 degree action cam (via )
- Issue 81 of Underwater Photographer Magazine is now available (via )
- Go diving in Nevada before or after DEMA this year (via )
- Oceana study shows one-third of shrimp sold is mislabeled (via )
- Gordon Laing reviews the Panasonic LX100 4K compact (via )
- Great White Sharks NG photo of the day by Marc Henauer (via )
- Sea lion attacks scuba diver (via )