Octopus research video wins Emmy
A video about the work of Dr. Cliff Ragsdale, professor of neurobiology at the University of Chicago, has won an Emmy. The team sequenced the entire genome of the California two-spot octopus (Octopus bimaculoides), the first cephalopod ever to be sequenced. One of the biggest divergences from other invertebrates that the team discovered was much greater nervous system development, very similar to what is found in vertebrates.
i-Divesite releases details of Symbiosis lighting system
Image: Larvacean by Gutsy Tuason
Happy Holidays 2016
Wishing the Wetpixel community a very happy holiday season 2016. If you are fortunate enough to be diving over the holidays, may your dives be safe, your subjects plentiful and the light perfect! Of course, we also hope that you will find time to gather with friends and family and enjoy celebrating the holidays together or just to eat, drinks and be merry.
iBook version of Underwater Photography Masterclass available
Rosenberg Books releases second edition of Dive Galapagos
Rosenberg Books has released the second edition of their Dive Galapagos eBook. It provides an illustrated, interactive guide to 46 of the dive sites on the islands, as well as comprehensive advice for travelers.
National Geographic publishes best underwater images of 2016
National Geographic has just published a list of their top 15 underwater photos from 2015. From the mangroves of Cuba, to the sandy shallows of the Bahamas and even the rivers in Yellowstone, National Geographic is inarguably host to some of the best underwater images around. Take a few moments to feast your eyes on their best of the year.
Epiphany available on iTunes
Epiphany, a biographical account of underwater photographer, Ellen Cuylaerts, is now available on iTunes. The film was shot by Michael Maes and Frans de Backer and features Ellen’s choices as she conquers a fear of water and sharks, while also guides her family through social challenges and difficult life choice
- BTS of the original Nirvana Nevermind underwater shoot (via )
- Underwater photographs of paint and flowers (via )
- Sound blasts could keep whales away from wind farms (via )
- Behind the shot: Underwater archer (via )
- Ocean Art photography competition now open (via )
- Flickr photo licensing is no more (via )
- A look at the new iPhone’s bokeh mode (via )
- Canon updates DPP to v.4.5.0 and EOS Utility to v.3.5.0 (via )
- Canon updates EOS 1D-X Mark II firmware to v.1.12 (via )
- Unraveling the mysteries of Great White Sharks (via )