Indonesia blows up 23 foreign fishing vessels
One week ago, on tuesday April 5th, Indonesia’s Maritime Affairs and Fisheries Minister Susi Pudjiastuti gave a live stream order and simultaneously blew up 23 illegal fishing vessels in seven different locations around the country. The Indonesian government has stepped up efforts to keep illegal fishing vessels out of its waters in recent years.
Video: Lionfish footage on Wild Oceans
Recsea ships housing for G5 X
Tim Rock Dive Guide series updated
iBubble autonomous underwater camera to launch on Indiegogo
iBubble, billed as an autonomous underwater camera, will be seeking funding on Indiegogo from 19 April. It will offer several different filming modes, controlled by a wrist band attached to the diver, which it can be set to follow. It is designed for use with GoPro HERO 3 and 4 cameras and will give one hour of filming at depths of up to 197ft (60m).
Whole Foods set to sell invasive Lionfish
Whole Foods markets, in their bid to offer sustainable seafood options, will sell lionfish at the seafood counters of all west coast locations within the next six months. The chain hopes to eventually expand the sale of lionfish to all 431 locations in the future. In their native habitat, lionfish serve an important role in the food chain. However, since being introduced to the Caribbean the population of the invasive fish has grown exponentially.
(Image from Shutterstock )
Lytro announces Cinema camera system
Light Field camera company Lytro has announced its Cinema camera. Designed for film and TV crews, the new camera makes it easier to blend live footage and computer-generated effects and allows directors to make changes to their footage in post-production that could previously only be made by reshooting the scene.
Paper Studies Coral Stress
A new paper published in the journal Marine Ecology Progress Series shows that the more stressors a coral reef experiences, the lower its survival rates. The study compared growth rates and other indicators on samples of Porites porites that had been pre exposed to elevated CO2 levels. (Image from Shutterstock).
- Two ‘extinct’ sea snakes off the coast of Australia (via )
- Warning: Adobe Creative Cloud deletes files in your Mac root… (via )
- Dark heart of the sea with an iPhone (via )
- Apple updates Final Cut Pro to 10.2.3 (via )
- Enslaved people today often work for enterprises that destroy… (via )
- Female shark eats male shark in aquarium turf war (via )
- NPR and NPS on next Ansel Adams (via )
- Adobe updates Camera Raw to 9.4 (via )
- NG photo of the day by Jennifer Giliberto (via )
- A new app to track the ISS for astrophotography (via )