President Obama announces Arctic protection
President Obama has banned drilling for oil and gas in the majority of US-owned Arctic and North Atlantic. Canada has concurrently applied the same protection to its waters in the area. The US president has used a 1953 law which bans the leasing of offshore resources indefinitely. (Picture from Shutterstock.)
Octopus research video wins Emmy
A video about the work of Dr. Cliff Ragsdale, professor of neurobiology at the University of Chicago, has won an Emmy. The team sequenced the entire genome of the California two-spot octopus (Octopus bimaculoides), the first cephalopod ever to be sequenced. One of the biggest divergences from other invertebrates that the team discovered was much greater nervous system development, very similar to what is found in vertebrates.
i-Divesite releases details of Symbiosis lighting system
Image: Larvacean by Gutsy Tuason
Happy Holidays 2016
Wishing the Wetpixel community a very happy holiday season 2016. If you are fortunate enough to be diving over the holidays, may your dives be safe, your subjects plentiful and the light perfect! Of course, we also hope that you will find time to gather with friends and family and enjoy celebrating the holidays together or just to eat, drinks and be merry.
iBook version of Underwater Photography Masterclass available
Rosenberg Books releases second edition of Dive Galapagos
Rosenberg Books has released the second edition of their Dive Galapagos eBook. It provides an illustrated, interactive guide to 46 of the dive sites on the islands, as well as comprehensive advice for travelers.
National Geographic publishes best underwater images of 2016
National Geographic has just published a list of their top 15 underwater photos from 2015. From the mangroves of Cuba, to the sandy shallows of the Bahamas and even the rivers in Yellowstone, National Geographic is inarguably host to some of the best underwater images around. Take a few moments to feast your eyes on their best of the year.
- 33 year-old orca dies after a lifetime in captivity (via )
- Japan to resume Antarctic whaling later this… (via )
- Tiger shark steals underwater camera rig (via )
- Sony releases firmware updates for α7, α7R, α7S and α6000 (via )
- Adobe Camera RAW 9.1 available (via )
- Lightroom 6 updated to version 6.1 (via )
- Deep sea corals win protection in the Atlantic (via )
- Video review of the Sony a7R II (via )
- Split shot of surfer above and photographers underwater (via )
- Underwater NG photo of the day by Alejandro Pietro (via )