Last few days to enter DEEP Indonesia 2017
All entries for the second flagship contest in the UnderwaterCompetition.com series, DEEP Indonesia, must be submitted by 25 February. The contest focuses on being interpretive and the rules allow for post processing. If you haven’t entered yet, you now only have a few days to do so.
CMAS World Championship to be held in Mexico
Several swimming pigs found dead in Bahamas
Several of the famous Bahamas swimming pigs were found dead over the weekend. It is unclear how the pigs died, whether intentional or accidental, but an investigation is underway according to the Bahamas Humane Society (BHS) president Kim Aranha. Approximately 7 pigs are alive and unaffected. The swimming pigs of Exuma are famous in the underwater photography community for use as subjects in photographs.
Sigma announces 4 lenses including 14mm wide angle
Sharkwater free showing across Canada
Canadian moviegoers will have a special treat available on 25 February. Rob Stewart’s documentary “Sharkwater” will be showing at Cineplex theaters nationwide. Admission is free in exchange for a donation to WWF Canada. The film is also available on iTunes, with proceeds from each sale or rental going towards they costs of finishing the production of “Sharkwater: Extinction.”
Ocean Discovery XPrize semi finalists announced
The Shell Ocean Discovery XPrize (ODXP) has selected its semi finalists. The aim of the 3 year contest is to design tools that allow for rapid, unmanned and high-resolution surveys of the world’s oceans. The 21 shortlisted teams represent 13 countries and are competing for a $7 million prize purse.
Lightroom Coffee Break: Flow Control Slider
Kevin Shaw on HDR for Filmmakers
FinalColor has posted an article entitled “HDR-An Introduction” by Kevin Shaw. In it, Shaw describes the use of HDR displays, the move from a Gamma based standard to perceptual quantization (PQ) electro-optical transfer function (EOTF). He points out that 4K resolution is a 400% increase in data for (once compressions has taken place) relative little gain, whereas HDR is a 20% data increase for a “huge” improvement.
- Polaroid Snap: 10 megapixel instant digital camera (via )
- Preview 3 images from Wildlife Photographer of the Year 2015 (via )
- $1k fine for flying drones too close to Orcas (via )
- iPhone 6s camera to shoot 12MP photos and 4k video (via )
- Apple brings photography to the masses (via )
- 10 tips for an u/w photo shoot by Jenna Martin (via )
- Recently discovered reef rivals Great Barrier Reef (via )
- Precision drone for light painting photos (via )
- Instagram now supports landscape oriented photos (via )
- LOKI portable camera rig (via )