New Year’s greetings to the Wetpixel Community
All off us at Wetpixel wish everyone celebrating the Gregorian New Year a very happy New Year. 2016 has been another amazing year in the Wetpixel community largely due to the amazing willingness of people to share their skills, time and experience so freely. May 2017 bring you amazing encounters, hassle free travel, phenomenal light and safe diving!
Philippines declares million hectare MPA
Scientists determine fish are magnetic
In a study recently published in Current Biology, scientists from the University of Oldenberg in Germany have determined that fish use magnetic fields to find their way back to their birthplace. Consistent experiments show that the larvae of Doederlein’s cardinalfish, Ostorhinchus doederleini, will swim south south-east after being thrust into the ocean’s currents. However, when scientists applied a magnetic field to tanks of newly hatched larvae, and then adjusted it by 180-degrees, the fish adjusted their direction every time.
National Geographic and NPS explores inside the well preserved USS Arizona
Archaeologists from the National Park Service and photographers from National Geographic have just completed a 10-day expedition to document interior portions of the U.S.S. Arizona that have previously not been seen since the ships’ sinking in 1941. The 608-foot long battleship sits in 40-feet of water and is one of the most well studied shipwrecks, but sections within the ship have been unreachable until now.
Call for Entries: UPY 2017
The Underwater Photographer of the Year (UPY) contest is making its final call for entries for the 2017 competition. This year it offers 11 categories, including one for the Underwater Photography Book of the year. The deadline for entries is 2 January 2018, with the results due to be announced in early February.
Article: Japanese Giant Salamanders by Don Silcock
Subal announces housing for OM-D E-M1 Mark II
2017 Wreck and Shark Shootout dates announced
- NG photo of the day Orcas by Paul Nicklen (via )
- 33 year-old orca dies after a lifetime in captivity (via )
- Japan to resume Antarctic whaling later this… (via )
- Tiger shark steals underwater camera rig (via )
- Sony releases firmware updates for α7, α7R, α7S and α6000 (via )
- Adobe Camera RAW 9.1 available (via )
- Lightroom 6 updated to version 6.1 (via )
- Deep sea corals win protection in the Atlantic (via )
- Video review of the Sony a7R II (via )
- Split shot of surfer above and photographers underwater (via )