Gates’s John Ellerbrock on the Sony AX100
The owner of Gates Underwater Products, John Ellerbrock, has sent us the following personal thoughts regarding a day he spent diving and testing the Sony FDR AX100 4K camcorder in one of his company’s housings.
Bird’s Head Seascape website launched
Burt Jones, Maurine Shimlock and Newmediasoup launch Bird’s Head Seascape website. The website is of particular note for scuba divers visiting Raja Ampat, Cenderawasih Bay and Triton Bay as it includes valuable information about scuba diving, sustainable tourism, news, research and conservation in the areas.
Monterey Underwater Film Festival August 9, 2014
The 2014 Monterey Underwater Film Festival is set to be held in the Golden State Theatre Saturday August 9, 2014. The film festival coincides with the Monterey Shootout and admission is included in registration. Adam Ravetch, Sylvia Earle, Cristian Dimitrius and Erick Higuera will be presenting.
Registration for the Monterey Shootout is now open
Behind the Shot: Uwe Schmolke’s Queen of Colours
Wildlife Photographer of the Year launches People’s Choice Award
The Wildlife Photographer of the Year competition 2014 has launched the first ever People’s Choice Award to celebrate the 50th year of the competition’s existence. The competition received over 41,000 entries for this year’s top wildlife photography prize. Jurors selected 50 images for the new category.
Building an underwater drone to film hippos
On an episode of Wildlife Documentaries Behind the Scenes, the Earth Touch team builds an underwater drone to film Africa’s most dangerous animal, the hippo, underwater. After assembling the unique underwater rig and testing it, the camera was brought to Botswana’s Okavango Delta to get it wet and film hippos.
Mike Veitch launches the Bali School of Underwater Photography
Wetpixel moderator Mike Veitch has announced the establishment of the Bali School of Underwater Photography. It offers a variety of classes for underwater photographers ranging from a 2 day session to complete dive safaris around Bali.
- Composite split shots breakdown (via )
- Nikon rumor: new dedicated uw camera (via )
- X-Ray International magazine issue 56 is now available to… (via )
- Kodak exits bankruptcy (via )
- Sony releases updates for NEX-7, NEX-5R, NEX-6 and a99 cameras (via )
- Panasonic updates firmware for DMC-GF6 (via )
- Everything you need to know about RED Dragon (via )
- Issue 74 of UwP magazine is now available to download (via )
- New species of walking sharks discovered in Indonesia (via )
- Nat Geo photographer on assignment with cellphone (via )