Sigma announces 4 lenses including 14mm wide angle
Sharkwater free showing across Canada
Canadian moviegoers will have a special treat available on 25 February. Rob Stewart’s documentary “Sharkwater” will be showing at Cineplex theaters nationwide. Admission is free in exchange for a donation to WWF Canada. The film is also available on iTunes, with proceeds from each sale or rental going towards they costs of finishing the production of “Sharkwater: Extinction.”
Ocean Discovery XPrize semi finalists announced
The Shell Ocean Discovery XPrize (ODXP) has selected its semi finalists. The aim of the 3 year contest is to design tools that allow for rapid, unmanned and high-resolution surveys of the world’s oceans. The 21 shortlisted teams represent 13 countries and are competing for a $7 million prize purse.
Lightroom Coffee Break: Flow Control Slider
Kevin Shaw on HDR for Filmmakers
FinalColor has posted an article entitled “HDR-An Introduction” by Kevin Shaw. In it, Shaw describes the use of HDR displays, the move from a Gamma based standard to perceptual quantization (PQ) electro-optical transfer function (EOTF). He points out that 4K resolution is a 400% increase in data for (once compressions has taken place) relative little gain, whereas HDR is a 20% data increase for a “huge” improvement.
Think Tank Photo updates Airport TakeOff
Inon announces UCL-67 close up lens
Inon has released their UCL-67 close up lens. Consisting of 3 coated lens element in 4 groups, the lens offers equivalent magnification to a +15 diopter along with a reasonable working distance. Mounting options including M67 (UCL-67 M67) and Inon LD mount (UCL-67 LD) and there is a stacking ring available.
Canon has announced two new entry level SLR cameras
Canon has announced two new entry level EOS series SLR cameras. The Rebel T7i (EOS 800D in Europe) and 77D both feature a 24.2 Megapixel CMOS (APS-C) sensor and a 45-point all cross-type Dual Pixel phase detection AF system. Image processing is via the DIGIC 7 Image Processor with a native ISO range of 100–25600.
- Apple releases version 6.05 of Raw compatibility software (via )
- Nikon D750 advisory for shutter shading (via )
- Outdoor Photographer magazine sold to Madavor Media (via )
- Volunteer Divers Needed for Giant Sea Bass Count August 1-16,… (via )
- Atomos upgrades Shogun firmware to AtomOS6.4 (via )
- Obama administration delivers blow to Shell’s Arctic drilling… (via )
- The most common vertebrate in the world is a fish (via )
- Adobe Dehaze: a tool for dealing with backscatter (via )
- Facebook unveils new Snapchat-esque photo editing (via )
- Starfish excrete foreign bodies through their arms (via )