Borneo from Below: Episode 19
Call to action: NOAA bungles shark management plans in Florida
A coalition of Florida based shark divers launched a campaign asking NOAA to reconsider their decision to open commercial fishing for sharks in the Jupiter area from 1 January 2016, during the breeding aggregation of large sharks in the area. NOAA’s response thus far has been to obfuscate and blame shift.
Image: Mystical Forest by Tracey Jennings
Sea Save Fundraising Auction now open
Scientists show what dolphins see through echolocation
Scientists have successfully used echolocation recordings from dolphins to physically recreate objects tested during experiments. For the first time ever this gives humans a glimpse into what dolphins “see” when they echolocate upon objects underwater.
Video: Paddle boarder has near miss with whale
A paddle boarder in Santa Cruz had quite a scare when a humpback whale surfaced within inches of his board. The whale was feeding and the entire incident was caught on video. Remarkably the paddle boarder was not injured and even managed to stay on his board.
Retra releases LSD Ultimate
Retra has announced an updated version of their Light Shaping Device (LSD). The LSD Ultimate has a lighter aluminum housing and a separate optical tube and mounting module. The latter are interchangeable and available for Sea&Sea, Inon, Seacam and Ikelite strobes. The company is also offering three different packs of masks to accompany the LSD.
The 2015 Ocean Views entry deadline is soon
- Apple expands OS X Mavericks raw support (via )
- Photographer Michael Muller takes over Discovery Instagram for… (via )
- NG photo of the day by Sandro Lonardi (via )
- Nikon settles D600 lawsuit with free D610’s (via )
- Monkey presses shutter, monkey owns copyright (via )
- The REMUS shark cam for filming shark bites (via )
- August issue of DIVE magazine available (via )
- Camera RAW 8.6 final version now available (via )
- Adobe releases Lightroom 5.6 (via )
- Announcing Fit Diver magazine (via )