Cayman Islands Underwater Photography Competition announced
The Cayman Islands Tourist Authority (CITA) is hosting its Underwater Photography Competition in conjunction with the 9th Annual International Underwater Film Festival. The photography competition is open to anyone, professional or amateur and local or visitor who wishes to submit photos to be considered in the contest. All entries must have been taken in the Cayman Islands.
Wetsuit patterned like lionfish to deter sharks
A company has created a wetsuit patterned like a venomous lionfish to deter sharks. Experts have doubts whether it will work.
Thresher sharks stun prey with tail slaps
A paper in the journal PLoS ONE about the hunting strategies of pelagic thresher sharks (Alopias pelagicus) has shown that the animals do use their tales to stun prey. The behavior was investigated at Pescador Island in the Philippines over 5 months in 2010, using a video camera to record the predation. (Image from Shutterstock)
Join Wetpixel in Komodo in 2014
Wetpixel is running two trips to unexplored South Komodo aboard the luxury liveaboard, The Seven Seas, in early 2014. The southern sites of Komodo National Park offer a fantastic mix of healthy coral reefs, huge schools of fish, and fascinating macro life. Wetpixel trips specialize in making the most of these stunning opportunities for photographers.
Deadline extended: SDUFEX
The 2013 San Diego Undersea Film Exhibition has extended its deadline for entries to 29 July 2013.
Rehabilitated orca spotted with calf
Springer, the Orca that was rescued and rehabilitated off the coast of Seattle in 2002, has been spotted with a calf near Vancouver Island. The sighting comes eleven years after the orphaned calf was reunited with her pod.
Divers discover ancient underwater forest
Review: Fantasea FG15 housing
Wetpixel Editor Adam Hanlon reviews the Fantasea FG15 housing for the Canon PowerShot G15 compact camera. This polycarbonate housing not only looks good, but also offers many features and refinements that are not on Canon’s housing for the camera.
- CNN: Overfished and under-protected; oceans on the brink of… (via )
- DeepX and 3Deep housings nominated for best innovations in film… (via )
- Nikon posts care instruction for Nikon 1 underwater housings (via )
- Fstoppers posts about the art of Lightroom catalog management (via )
- Adobe to stop shipping boxed software from 30 April 2013,… (via )
- Netflix expects 4K streaming within two years (via )
- Photographer lists his subject as a defendant in copyright suit (via )
- Fstoppers reviews the Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4 lens (via )
- First images and specs of Canon EOS Kiss X7 SLR (via )
- A new study shows that stressed corals fluoresce less when… (via )